Television & Movies
- Sesame Street Unpaved and 123 Sesame Street begin on Noggin, February 2
- Farscape Season 1 premieres on Sci Fi, March 19
- Muppets from Space released July 14
- Donna's Day begins third season on Odyssey Network with Swedish Chef as frequent guest, September 1
- Family Rules airs from March 9 - April 13
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland released October 1
- CinderElmo on FOX, December 6
- CNN airs a People Profiles television documentary on Jim Henson
- Muppet Babies repeats move to Odyssey Network, October 1
International Television & Movies
- Muppets aus dem All (Muppets from Space) released in Germany, December 9
- Mupparna I Rymden (Muppets from Space) released in Sweden, December 17
- Mopatop's Shop premieres in the UK
- Construction Site premieres in the UK
- Sesame English premieres in China
- Noggin, a joint venture between Children's Television Workshop and Nickelodeon, premieres January 31
- Odyssey Network, partly-owned by The Jim Henson Company and Hallmark Entertainment, relaunches April 4
Appearances & Events
- Big Bird, Roscoe Orman, and Ruth Buzzi accept the first annual TV Guide Award for "Best Children's Show" for Sesame Street, February
- Kermit appears on The Tonight Show
- Gonzo and Kermit appear on Wheel of Fortune
- Red carpet premiere for Muppets from Space, in Culver City, California, July 17; Val Kilmer and Paula Abdul attend
- Miss Piggy on The Daily Show, July 19
- Kermit appears as George Washington in ads for the State Quarters program of the United States Mint
- Kermit leaving his flipper-prints in Berlin, Germany, December 7
- Muppets from Space: The Making of Muppet Movie Magic
- Bernie Brillstein's autobiography Where Did I Go Right?
- The Muppets Big Book of Crafts
- Muppet Book of Friendship
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland Movie Storybook
- Bear Loves Food!
- Bear's Big Blue House
- Big Bird Walks
- Brought to You by the Number 1
- Brought to You by the Number 2
- Brought to You by the Number 3
- Count to Ten re-issue
- Dirt is Delightful
- Elmo's Busy Baby Book
- Elmo Jumps
- Ernie Runs
- Fairy Tales (book)
- Find the Seashell
- Flutter By, Butterfly
- Gonzo's Book of Out-of-This-World Puzzles
- Good Night, Elmo
- Grouchland Surprises
- Grover Dances
- Grover's Farm
- I Can Go to Preschool
- Let's Go to the Fun Park!
- Luna's Night
- Merry Christmas, Bear!
- Muppets from Space: The Junior Novelization
- The Muppets' Mixed-Up Christmas
- Robin's Secret Valentine
- Slimey to the Moon
- Surprise, Mommy!
- Unwelcome to Grouchland
- A Very Muppet Christmas
- Welcome to the Big Blue House!
- What's That Smell?
- Where is Bear?
- Which Witch Is Which? re-issue
- Who Am I?
- Zip! Pop! Hop!
- Let's Eat!: Funny Food Songs, January 12
- Kids' Favorite Songs, March 9
- Potty Time with Bear, August 31
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland: Sing and Play, September 7
- Sapsorrow & The Luck Child, September 21
- The Soldier & Death & A Story Short, September 21
- The Dark Crystal (video), October 5
- Labyrinth, October 12
- Muppets from Space, October 26
- Do the Alphabet (DVD), November 9
- 123 Count with Me (DVD), December 14
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, December 21
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (soundtrack)
- Elmo appears on Rosie O'Donnell's Christmas album, A Rosie Christmas, singing Do You Hear What I Hear.
- "Shining Star" from Muppets from Space
- Sesame Street Live presents Big Bird's Sunny Day Camp Out
- Bear in the Big Blue House Live debuts with the show, On the Road with Bear in the Big Blue House
- Bear in the Big Blue House straws
- Muppet Movie Parodies 1999 Calendar
- Muppet Art: 1999 Calendar
- Thirty Years and Counting: Sesame Street Calendar
- Thirty Years and Counting: Sesame Street Calendar (Food)
- Christopher Radko Christmas Ornaments
- Magic Talking Kermit the Frog
- Muppets from Space Kid's Meal
- Subway Bear in the Big Blue House Kids Meal
- Dairy Queen Muppet Babies Kid's Meal
- Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland mini plush
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade features a Sesame Street Float.
Behind the scenes
- Robert Myhrum dies, April 2