Miss Piggy has always had two magnificent obsessions: her stardom, and her love for Kermit the Frog. In the case of the latter, she has gone to great lengths to convince, fool and force the frog into matrimony. This entry serves to chronicle her attempts at marital bliss, if not her penchant for delusion.
According to The Muppets Character Encyclopedia, all of Kermit and Piggy's weddings have been fictional, but Piggy carries around a marriage license in her purse, just in case.
Miss Piggy seems to have come to peace with the claims, as of 2014. Discussing the fact she had brought in a real minister, she claimed that "unfortunately he had been defrocked. It's going to happen one day." However, the following year, just prior to the premiere of their return to television, the pair announced at a press conference (in a fashion very similar to a proposed marketing campaign from 1990) that they'd be ending their relationship.
Interviewers often ask Miss Piggy and Kermit whether the pair are married:
- Parkinson — In 1978, Rolf Harris sings a little scat about Kermit asking Piggy to marry him, but Kermit interrupts saying that it's totally inappropriate.
- The Today Show — during promotion for The Muppets Take Manhattan in 1984, Gene Shalit asks Kermit about his relationship with Piggy and the question of marriage comes up.
- The Merv Griffin Show — another 1984 promotion for The Muppets Take Manhattan. When host Merv Griffin shows a clip of their movie wedding, Kermit and Piggy banter about their relationship, and joke about having baby "figs".
- This Morning — Piggy explains that she and Kermit keep the controversy of their marriage going in interviews because so many lust after her. According to Piggy, they have agreed to say that they are not married in public, but in private, they are very happy together.
- Larry King Live — Kermit and Piggy appear together in 1993; Larry asks them when they're going to get married. Kermit says that they won't, but Piggy reveals that they secretly live together and that her married name is Mrs. the Frog.
- Disney Adventures — during promotion for the release of Muppet Classic Theater, Liz Smith and Kim Lockhart asked Kermit about his relationship with Miss Piggy. Kermit reveals that they have a good relationship and that the rumors Miss Piggy says about them secretly married in Las Vegas are not true.
- Good Morning Texas — Kermit appeared in 1994 to promote Muppet Classic Theater; when asked about his relationship with Miss Piggy, he claims that "the things that the pig says" aren't true. Kermit is even disgusted by the idea of a blossoming romance, although he states he's not against inter-species dating.
- Good Morning America — Kermit and Miss Piggy appeared in 1996 to promote Muppet Treasure Island and announce Muppets Tonight; when asked about their relationship, Piggy decides that they go their separate lives as a male frog and a female pig. She makes a confession—she moved Kermit's underwear to her stocking dress.
- The Clive James Show — Clive James asks Kermit in 1996 when he's going to make an honest pig of Miss Piggy. Piggy asks, "Are you insinuating that moi needs a frog to define my existence?" Kermit ducks the question and answers, "Are you insinuating that it's possible to make her honest?"
- Live with Regis and Kathy Lee — Miss Piggy appears during "Celebrity Cooking Week" in 1996. While doing a recipe from her new cookbook, she begins asking various questions of Regis. He snaps back, asking her if she and Kermit are married. She tells him they are and it's none of his business.
- The Tonight Show — Kermit appeared in 1996 to promote Muppet Treasure Island; when asked about his relationship with Miss Piggy, Kermit said his doctor told him that it's wise to avoid dating red meat. They had a great relationship, but Miss Piggy gave him a tough time since Babe came out and got nominated for an Academy Award.
- The Wayne Brady Show — Promoting It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie in 2002, Wayne Brady asks Kermit and Piggy if they're married at the top of the interview. Piggy initially says yes, but not literally: they're married in their hearts. Kermit disagrees saying he's not sure if it's even possible for a frog to marry a pig.
- Pepe's Profiles — Pepe asks Kermit why he'd marry a pig in this series of featurettes produced in 2005. Kermit denies that they're married, and says they're not even romantically involved. A clip with Piggy follows where she expresses that they're married in their hearts, and that she's still working on the rest of it.
- The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet — Kermit and Miss Piggy appeared together in December 2008; when pressed on the question of being a couple, Kermit stops being coy and says the two are together (although they are trying to be discreet); Piggy says their relationship is solid as a rock.
- Jimmy Kimmel Live — During a November 2011 appearance, Piggy says outright that they're not married. She laments that they are married in their hearts, and declares that they have the longest-running inter-species relationship in Hollywood.
- Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (2011) — Jimmy asks Kermit and Piggy about their relationship, Piggy says they're very much in love and Kermit says, "Yeah, yeah, we are, I have to admit it."
- Daybreak — On their February 10th, 2012 appearance on the UK-show, Kermit comes in to talk with Dan Lobb and Kate Garraway about The Muppets and a message from Daniel Radcliffe. The subject of marriage pops up during that interview, and Kermit says they're "NOT married," but does admit they're in fact together.
- Pathé (Swiss/Dutch theater chain) The Muppets interview with Kermit The Frog, Miss Piggy, James Bobin — Posted in February 2012, the interviewer asks Kermit about his history with Miss Piggy, and Kermit says he wants to make clear that they aren't married. He says "we're a couple we're together but not married, confusing for people, I know." The interviewer says she's confused and Kermit says he is too, but "that's what happens when you date a pig."
- When asked for marriage advice in a 2017 Q&A, Piggy told Muppet-fan Joe Hennes that "seeing as I’ve never been married (yet) I haven’t a clue what happens after the wedding and reception."
Bride and Groom
- "Jim Henson: Master of Muppets" by Leslie Stackel. Starlog Magazine, August 1984 (page 27 - page 28)
- Jennifer Gruden, "Miss Piggy: Fashion, Kermit and divas", Canadian Living, March 18, 2014.
- "TCA: Kermit and Miss Piggy’s Break-Up Helps Promote ABC’s New ‘Muppets’ Series" by Cynthia Littleton, Variety, August 4, 2015
- Video: Kermit & Miss Piggy on The Morning Show
- Ask Miss Piggy: More Fabulous Tips To Live La Vida Diva
- Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy's offspring
- Kermit the Frog's love interests
- Miss Piggy's love interests