Behemoth (known later as Gene) is an orange monster who appeared occasionally as part of the troupe of Muppet monsters on The Muppet Show, and has also appeared in Muppets Tonight and the 2011 film The Muppets.
A notable moment for Behemoth was the musical number "Under My Skin", during which he tried to eat Shakey Sanchez while singing the song. He made a comeback in The Muppets, both in a speaking role in the film and appearing in several of the promotional campaign spots and images.
In 2011, Bill Barretta performed the character in The Muppets, and in some of the trailers and promotional clips. Barretta has renamed the character "Gene", after his brother, animator and illustrator Gene Barretta.
In a November 2011 promotional interstitial for Disney Channel, Kermit the Frog addresses the character, saying, "Roll it, Gene!" The monster responds, "'kay!" According to The Muppets Character Encyclopedia, Gene is his real name while Behemoth is his stage name. The end credits for Muppets Haunted Mansion refer to him as "Clean Gene." The full name was devised by Barretta during an improvised take from The Muppets film, and he decided that the monster would be obsessed with cleanliness.
- The Muppet Show
- The Muppet Movie (the "Rainbow Connection" finale)
- The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years
- Good Morning America (rebuilt for this appearance)
- Muppets Tonight
- "The Muppet Show Theme music video"
- The Muppets
- "Kermit's Party" (Bounty web views)
- Muppets Most Wanted
- The Muppets 2015 Presentation Pilot
- The Muppets (2015)
- Warburtons commercial
- The Muppets Take the Bowl
- The Muppets Take the O2
- Muppets Haunted Mansion
- Muppet Robin Hood - issue #2
- The Muppet Show Comic Book: "Pigs in Space"
- Muppet Snow White
- Muppet Sherlock Holmes
- The Muppets Character Encyclopedia