Benny is easily irritated and frequently yells at others. His outbursts are preceded by a variation of the comedic "slow-burn," as he grits his two front teeth until a small squeak is emitted. His personality is very similar to Oscar the Grouch, who shares similar character traits.
Benny seldom does anything nice for anyone and whenever someone asks him for a favor, he says he has to go downtown. He hates being touched and hugged, but his biggest pet peeve is when people address him as "Bunny" rather than Benny.
Benny first appeared in Sesame Street Episode 2730 (1990), originally as a Grouch rabbit in a magic act. He received a proper introduction in Episode 2815, and continued making sporadic appearances through season 24. In season 25, he was given a bigger role as the bellhop to the Furry Arms. After season 29, he made brief cameos in Elmo's World: Hats, a Global Grover segment about Australia, a Trash Gordon skit where Space Bunnies attack the valiant hero and most prominently in Bert & Ernie's Word Play as Prairie Dawn's assistant.
- In Episode 3773, it is revealed that Benny has upwards of fourteen brothers and sisters, whose names include Cottontail, Mugsy, Curly, Moe, and Zeppo. Benny also keeps a collection of photos of his other relatives in his wallet; including his uncle Harvey (who's partially visible in the photo, referencing the Jimmy Stewart film Harvey), and his uncle Bobby who runs a hair salon. Most of his family have a striking resemblance to Benny himself.
- Sesame Street
- Sesame Street Stays Up Late
- Stars and Street Forever
- Don't Forget to Watch the Movie
- Elmo Saves Christmas
- Telling the Truth
- 123 Count With Me
- A Brief History of Motion Pictures
- Bert and Ernie's Word Play
- Season 21: 2730
- Season 22: 2815
- Season 23: 2973, 2982
- Season 24: 3116
- Season 25: 3136, 3139, 3145, 3156, 3220, 3237, 3255
- Season 26: 3275, 3301, 3318, 3333, 3348, 3350 (VO), 3370, 3371, 3376, 3395
- Season 27: 3409, 3455, 3457, 3466
- Season 28: 3608, 3623, 3655
- Season 29: 3656, 3699, 3714, 3717, 3729, 3773
- Season 30: 3820
- Around the Corner on Sesame Street (1994)
- Baby Natasha in "Say Cheese!" (1994)
- Ready, Set, Go! A Counting Book (1995)
- Sesame Street Storybook Fun (1995)
- Elmo's Lift-and-Peek Around the Corner Book (1996)
- Rise and Shine! (1996; reworked as Up, Up, Up! in 2011)
- The Sesame Street Word Book (1998)
- The Furry Arms Hotel (2001)
- Be Polite (2006)
- Please and Thank You (2006)