Bob Payne, also credited as Robert Payne and known as "Bobby," was a college friend of Jim and Jane Henson. Payne first worked with the Muppets as a substitute puppeteer on Sam and Friends in 1958, while Jim Henson was in Europe. He subsequently designed and built several characters on The Muppet Show and other Henson productions, and served as an occasional performer at various times.
Payne received special credit as a historian on The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years. He also appeared in four 1974 episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as a puppeteer with Bob Brown's marionette company.
- Sam and Friends
- Tales of the Tinkerdee: Princess Gwendolinda
- Citizen's Advisory Committee on Highway Safety PSAs: Sue
- Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall: Prancer
- Mirinda commercials: Mirinda Craver (puppetry only)
- The Muppet Show: Astoria, "Scarborough Fair" Tumblers (with Kathryn Mullen, episode 511), Frogs (episode 523), others (episode 314, episode 407)
- Sesame Street: Telly Monster (1979), Bertha, Building Inspector, Chet, Cousin Monster (at least one sketch), Eugene, Georgie, Green cowboy ("Try, Try Again"), Judy Finstermacher, Little Bird (Episode 1199), Mary Rhymie, Slimey (Episode 1254), Zebediah
- The Muppet Movie
- John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together
- Muppet Meeting Films: Roll in "Meal Break"
- The Great Muppet Caper
- The Muppets Go to the Movies
- The Dark Crystal: Skeksis Historian (puppeteer)
- Tales of the Tinkerdee: Palace Guard's helmet (later used for Super Grover)
- Sesame Street: built the original Telly Monster
- The Muppet Show: designed and built Mulch, Pinocchio, Punch and Judy puppets, and others
- The Dark Crystal: Podlings fabrication team
- Fraggle Rock