What is not as well known, however, is that Spinney also performed a number of other characters, usually Anything Muppets, in the earlier seasons of the show. Spinney also performed Muppet versions of his pre-Sesame Street characters Picklepuss and Pop in a Muppet production, and made several cameos on the show.
Recurring characters shared among performers.
Unnamed Anything Muppets, monsters, etc.
Characters performed in non-motion media and other voiceovers.
- In the audio cassette version of the book A Sesame Street Christmas, Caroll Spinney as Big Bird reads a story that includes his imitations of Bert, Ernie, Betty Lou, and Grover. Earlier in the story, Spinney narrates as Oscar imitating Ernie, The Count and Cookie Monster. Another story on the tape finds Spinney as Oscar imitating Big Bird and Betty Lou.
- Spinney narrates several of the audio adaptations of the Sesame Street Start-to-Read Book series, sometimes doing other character voices. Other examples can be found on Sesame Street records including Big Bird presents Hans Christian Andersen.
- Spinney voiced a zookeeper and a firefighter in the adaptation of "Everyone Makes Mistakes" for the video, Three Sesame Street Stories.
- Spinney dubbed the voice of the human cab driver (portrayed by Lorenzo Giliberti) in Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration.
- In 2012 Spinney puppeteered various characters — including a penguin, a lamb, and a chicken — for "The Lobby Project," a welcoming video screen display for the lobby of Sesame Workshop's offices at Lincoln Plaza.
- Despite his claims to the contrary, Spinney never performed Elmo.
- Daniel Seagren once filled in as Big Bird when Spinney was sick in Episode 0083. Similarly, Jim Henson filled in as Oscar for Episode 0084.
Scripts that credit Spinney as playing various characters for which no a/v evidence is available.