"Which came first - the chicken or the egg?" is a question regarding causality that has been debated for centuries.
- Spike Milligan grabs a chicken by the neck in The Muppet Show episode 317, and furiously asks it, "Now, who came first?! Answer!"
- A chicken and egg argue over who's first (in terms of their songs being played) in Sing, Hoot & Howl with the Sesame Street Animals.
- In Episode 2887 of Sesame Street, an eggplant jokes with Telly Monster, asking him which came first - the chicken or the eggplant?
- In Episode 2966 of Sesame Street, Telly receives a call from a fellow Triangle Lover asking an important question: which came first - the chicken or the triangle? "Nobody knows the answer to that one," Telly answers.
- In episode 102 of Muppets Tonight, Garth Brooks is seen chatting to a group of chickens, claiming that chickens came first in regards to the question
- Donna Erickson asks the question to the Swedish Chef in an episode of Donna's Day. He can't make up his mind, so he hosts a race around the kitchen between a chicken and an egg, where the egg comes in last.
- A chicken visits Gina's new veterinarian clinic in episode 3918 of Sesame Street, having gotten a headache pondering this question.
- Big Bird reads a book entitled "Which Came First?" in a Sesame Street episode.
- In the Muppet Babies episode "Animal and the Magic Mummy," Mr. Statler and Mr. Waldorf discuss the question at the museum's chicken exhibit.
- Sesame Street Unpaved, page 34