Cougar Town was a single-camera sitcom that aired from 2009 to 2015 about a recently divorced woman, Jules Cobbs, in her 40s facing the challenges with her teenage son, her ex-husband, and her wine-loving friends who together make up her dysfunctional, but supportive and caring, extended family. The show takes place in a fictional town of Gulfhaven, Florida, which is nicknamed "Cougar Town" because of its high school team mascot, a cougar. The show was originally about older women ("cougars") dating younger men, but the show quickly took a different turn as Jules Cobbs began to pursue men her own age. The first three seasons aired on ABC, with the series moving to TBS for the remaining three seasons.
- In the season 2 episode “Something Good Coming, Part 1,” Ellie knows Grayson wants kids when she starts singing in Elmo’s voice, “La La, La La! La La, La La!” and Grayson replies, “Elmo's Song!”
- In the season 6 episode, "A Two Story Town," Andy calls Ellie and Chick Statler and Waldorf, those Muppet jerks who heckle everyone from the balcony.
- In The Muppets, the show is spoofed as Grown Men on the CDE prime time schedule on Wednesday night at 9:30pm (Cougar Town’s broadcast slot at the time).
- David Arquette played Daniel in "Your World"
- Zach Braff played John "J.D." Dorian from Scrubs in "When the Time Comes" and Pizza Guy (uncredited) in "A One Story Town"
- Sheryl Crow played Sara Kramer in season 1.
- Sarah Chalke played Angie LeClaire in season 3.
- Scott Foley played Jeff in season 1.
- Tippi Hedren appeared in "Have Love Will Travel"
- Bill Lawrence co-created, executive produced, directed, and wrote for the series.
- Lou Diamond Phillips appeared (uncredited) in "Have Love Will Travel"
- Nicole Sullivan played Lynn Mettler in season 3 and 4.
- Ali Wentworth played Tom’s girlfriend in "I Should Have Known It".