In the Muppet world, there is a time honored tradition of playing detective. Outside of such professional investigative figures as Sherlock Hemlock and Colambo, other characters have been known to embark on crime-solving excursions. While deductive reasoning and interrogation have their role to play, the true sign that any character is playing detective is the instant donning of a Sherlock Holmes hat, trenchcoat, and/or the use of an over-sized magnifying glass.
Characters who have taken a turn at sleuthing include the following:
- Big Bird - Big Bird Discovers the Orchestra
- Chelli - Big Bag
- Clifford and Bobo in the Fairyland PD series on Muppets Tonight
- Kermit the Frog - many occasions, including The Muppet Show episode 414, in The Bunny Slipper Mystery, in "Kermit and Fozzie, Private Eyes" from Little Muppet Monsters, and as Detective Amphibowicz in NYPD Green from Muppets Tonight
- Ojo and Tutter - "It's a Mystery to Me" and Mystery at the Big Blue House
- Red Fraggle - "Inspector Red" from Fraggle Rock
- Robin the Frog - The Case of the Missing Hat
- Rowlf the Dog - Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues on The Muppet Show episode 103.
- Telly Monster and Baby Bear in Computer Caper
- Wolle - Many episodes of Sesamstrasse