Diff'rent Strokes is a sitcom which ran from 1978 to 1986, focusing on two black boys adopted by a middle-aged white businessman. The Facts of Life was a spin-off.
- In the second season episode "Arnold's Hero", when Arnold's adopted father Mr. Drummond informs Arnold that he won't be able to meet Muhammad Ali as promised, he says that he'll make it up to him by taking him "to see the Muppet film, for the twelfth time."
- In the fourth season episode "The Health Club," Arnold and Willis are refused entry into Drummond's health club by one of the several bigoted employees who uses their ages as an excuse. When they see a young white boy leave, Arnold sarcastically asks "What was that, a Muppet?"
- In the fifth season two-parter "The Bicycle Man," an Ernie cookie jar can be seen in Mr. Horton's apartment during both episodes.
- In the eighth season episode "The Big Bribe," Arnold tells his friend Charlie to shut up or he'll tell everyone he has Muppet underwear.
- "Diff'rent Jokes" is one of several shows Fozzie Bear pitches to Scooter in the Muppets Now episode "Fever Pitch".
- Mary Jo Catlett played Pearl Gallagher (1982-1986)
- Lee Chamberlin played Dr. Chadway in "Roots" (1981) and Dr. Tucker in "Dreams" (1982)
- Rosalind Chao played Miss Chung (1982-1983) and Ming Li in "Almost American" (1981)
- Dabney Coleman played Fred Tanner in "Arnold's Girlfriend" (1979)
- David Hasselhoff played himself in "Hooray for Hollywood" (1984)
- Whitman Mayo played Jethro Simpson "The Adoption" (1979)
- Edie McClurg played Betty in "Arnold the Entrepreneur" (1984)
- Charlotte Rae played Mrs. Edna Garrett (1978-1979, guest in 1984)
- Forest Whitaker played Herman in "Bully for Arnold" (1985)