John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie (1917-1993) was an American jazz trumpeter.
He made several guest appearances on Muppet-related shows: He was the guest star in episode 413 of The Muppet Show, the Ghost of Faffner Hall episode "Reacting to Sounds" and Sesame Street episodes 2040 and 2071 (with Oscar the Grouch).
Gillespie was inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame in 1982. Other notable television appearances include The Cosby Show and 3-2-1 Contact.
- On The Jimmy Dean Show, Rowlf's Nephew cannot remember Jimmy Dean's name, calling him Jimmy Stewart, Dizzy Gillespie, and Jimmy Durante, among others.'
- In Episode 0070 of Sesame Street, Gordon hears a loud, off-key trumpet blaring from Oscar's trash can and asks if "Dizzy Grouch" is in there.
- When Gonzo plays a few notes of "Great Day" on the trumpet to finish out "The Muppet Show Theme" in episode 510, he quips, "Eat you heart out, Gillespie."
- While debating who should be included in an extension a Bible quote in John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together, Floyd Pepper suggests it be phrased, "peace on Earth, goodwill toward men and women and chickens and bears and Dizzy Gillespie."
- Lips's profile on the back packaging of the Lips Action Figure lists "Dizzy Gillespie records" among his likes.