|Written by||Joe Raposo|
|Publisher||Wizzybus Music, Inc.|
"Doin' the Pigeon" is a Sesame Street song sung by Bert, who demonstrates a dance inspired by his favorite animal. Bert's entire body is seen against a black background as he goes through his dance steps.
The sketch begins with Bert showing some home movie footage of pigeons. This introduction was edited out of most video releases of the song, though it was included when released as part of episode 0536 in Old School: Volume 1. When the segment aired in Episode 3913, Bert is said to be at a Pigeon Convention in Peoria, so the song is presented as an act he does, with an introduction by Jerry Nelson and the pigeon film and intro verse cut.
An instrumental arrangement of the song appears in the 2018 special When You Wish Upon a Pickle, where Bert is magically transported onto the TV program Let's Dance.
The song was also performed in the Sesame Street Live show, A Sesame Street Mystery: The Case of the Missing Rara Avis.
- Bert's Blockbusters (1974)
- 60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street (1975)
- Bert Sings: Doin' the Pigeon/I Want to Hold Your Ear (single, 1976)
- Sesame Street Fever (disco version, 1978)
- Rubber Duckie (disco version)/Doin' the Pigeon (disco version) (single, 1979)
- The Best of Bert (1983)
- Sing: Songs of Joe Raposo (1992)
- Platinum All-Time Favorites (1995)
- Bert and Ernie's Greatest Hits (1996)
- Songs from the Street (2003)
- Get Up and Dance (2003, CD sampler)
- Elmo's Dance Party (2012)
- All-Time Favorites 1 (2018)
- Sing Silly Songs! (2019)
- Sing Along (1987) - introduction edited
- Dance Along! (1990) - introduction edited
- Sesame Street: 25 Wonderful Years (1993) - introduction edited
- What's the Name of That Song? (2004) - edited, new graphics and sound effects added
- Old School: Volume 1 (2006) - in Episode 0536
- 40 Years of Sunny Days (2009)
- This song was spoofed as "Going to (boo-hoo) Prison" in a sketch on Mad TV.