Duke Ellington (1899-1974) was a famous jazz performer and songwriter.
Songs performed by the Muppets
- "It Don't Mean a Thing" performed in episode 216 of The Muppet Show by Cleo Laine and The Electric Mayhem
- "Just Squeeze Me" performed in episode 520 of The Muppet Show.
- In Sesame Street Episode 2424 (from 1988), Mae suggests Bob and their band play Ellington's "Sophisticated Lady."
- The character Duck Ellington on Sesame Street is a parody of the performer. He performed "No Matter What Your Language" with Wynton Marsalis at Birdland in Episode 2874.
- Muppet Babies episode 305 featured a spoof of Ellington's radio show (1943, 1945-1946), with Baby Rowlf as a big band conductor.
- Episode 3457 features bird impressionist Michael Tweeter (played by Michael Jeter). As a part of his set at Birdland, he impersonates "Duck Ellington" while singing Duke Ellington's "Satin Doll" (in quack).
- Ellington's hit, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" was spoofed on Sesame Street with Grover singing "I Do Not Crawl Around Much Anymore."
- Grenoldo Frazier played Duke in the revue Billy, Lena and The Duke: A Night of Ellington Music!
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.