(as part of The Jim Henson Hour)
|Air Date||April 14, 1989|
|Written by||Anthony Minghella, from an early German folktale|
A young prince is tricked into helping a heartless giant escape from the king's dungeon. The evil giant unleashes terror across the land and those who go off to fight him never return. The young prince becomes the servant of the giant and tries to find where the giant's heart is hidden.
- Frederick Warder as Giant
- Elliot Spier as Leo
- Gemma Jones as Queen
- Nicholas Selby as King
- Richard Lintern as Prince 1
- Simon Adams as Prince 2
- John Atkinson as Guard
- David Greenaway, Robert Tygner and Mak Wilson as Wolf, Bird & Salmon
- This episode draws on tale type 302 in the Aarne-Thompson-Uther index, "The Giant Without a Heart". However, the episode's more sympathetic giant and his relationship with the prince evokes stories from ATU-502, "The Wild Man", especially "Iron John" from the Brothers Grimm.
- Jim Henson's Red Book - 4/25-30/1988 - 'Edit Hearltess Giant - London'
- Asbjørnsen and Moe's rendition of the folk tale
- Behind the scenes footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDPTL7A6Vng
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|The Luck Child||The Soldier and Death|