|The Muppet Show|
|Production||August 10-11, 1976|
|Premiere|| UK: November 14, 1976|
NYC: November 29, 1976
- "What Now My Love"
- "Put Another Log on the Fire"
- At the Dance
- Panel Discussion: Does Travel Broaden the Mind?
- UK Spot: "It's Not Where You Start"
- Talk Spot
- The Swedish Chef: Spicy Sauce
- "Look at That Face"
- Veterinarian's Hospital: (Behemoth)
- Outside of one snide comment at the beginning about Candice Bergen, Statler and Waldorf do not criticize anything in this episode, even to the point of Waldorf admitting he's "beginning to like the show" at the end. This is the first time neither would appear in an episode to joke about any of the sketches; it wouldn't happen again until the Raquel Welch episode in season 3, in which the two old codgers make only one intervention.
|"The Muppet Show Theme": Gonzo, sporting a boxing glove, punches the "O." It sounds like a ringside bell, indicating the start of a match. Gonzo stands ready for the fight!|
| ||When Kermit the Frog refers to guest star Candice Bergen as a "well-rounded person" during his introduction, Statler and Waldorf respond with cat calls and what Kermit calls "male chauvinist pig jokes." Miss Piggy arrives to protest any kind of pig jokes. Piggy then notes how whenever a beautiful woman comes on the show, Kermit forgets about her. This time, however, Piggy stands up for herself, and states that she and Candice Bergen will walk if she is not allowed to open the show.|
|Miss Piggy sings "What Now My Love?" She is backed by three Whatnots who gradually turn into monsters.|
|Backstage, Fozzie Bear enters calling out, "Wire for Kermit the Frog! Wire for Kermit the Frog!" When the puzzled amphibian says that he is Kermit the Frog, Fozzie hangs a wire coat hanger over his face.|
| ||The Hillbilly Singer sings "Put Another Log on the Fire" while Candice tries to do all the chores. At the end of the song she rebels and leaves, wearing a feminist t-shirt.|
|Fozzie enters, calling out, "Letter for Kermit the Frog! Letter for Kermit the Frog!" He then presents Kermit with the letter R. Kermit, who can appreciate a good joke when he sees one, tries to pull it on Scooter. The joke backfires, as Scooter has no time to read the letter.|
|At the Dance: Droop tells his dance partner that he was the teacher's pet in school. His partner asks if the teacher couldn't afford a dog, and the offended Droop reacts slapping the girl's face with his nose. George the Janitor pops the question, or rather the question-mark-headed dancer near him. (NOTE: This is the second consecutive episode to use the tango version of the music.)|
|"Does Travel Broaden the Mind?" Kermit's panel includes a travel guide author, Miss Clara Cartwell (played by Candice Bergen), Miss Piggy, Sam the Eagle, and Mildred Huxtetter. Mildred and Miss Piggy fight throughout the panel, while Sam and Clara discuss Marcello Mastroianni, which Sam assumes is an Italian soup.|
|UK Spot: Rowlf the Dog sings "It's Not Where You Start." Just as he is about through with the song, Scooter informs him that he sang it too fast, and has to play it again, except this time he has only one minute. Then, Scooter's uncle has asked to hear it again, but this time Rowlf has only twenty seconds.|
| ||Talk Spot: Candice tries to take Kermit's picture, but they are interrupted by Sweetums. Sweetums admires Candice's cameras, and she tells him a bit about them, referring to one as a "terrific camera." Sweetums proceeds to eat it. He claims to have tasted better.|
|The Swedish Chef prepares spicy sauce. It's so hot, that smoke pours out of his ears and his hat flies off.|
|Art instructor Andre sings "Look at That Face," as the Muppets paint portraits of Candice. When Andre is dissatisfied with Animal's random work, Animal paints on Candice.|
|Fozzie enters with a note for Kermit the Frog, a G-sharp note provided by three singing frogs.|
|Veterinarian's Hospital: Behemoth is at the hospital for a tummy ache and a sore throat. Dr. Bob hits his tummy with a hammer, giving him a tummy ache, but the patient explains that he has a sore throat and wants it to go away. Turns out he has a frog in his throat, and it's Kermit. Kermit, quite annoyed, threatens to cancel the skit.|
|Fozzie believes he has the perfect topper for his running gag. He calls out, "Flower for Kermit the Frog! Flower for Kermit the Frog!" He then pours a bag of flour on Kermit's head. Miss Piggy, tired of the abuse to her frog, punches Fozzie.|
|Candice and the Muppets sing "Friends" to cheer up Gonzo.|
|Kermit has allowed Fozzie to wrap up the show. After he calls Candice onstage, we hear someone calling out, "Pie for Fozzie the Bear! Pie for Fozzie the Bear!" Kermit enters with a pie. He asks, "Are you Fozzie the Bear?" Although Fozzie's reply is "no," Kermit hits him with the pie for revenge anyway... and accidentally hits Candice with it, too, which Fozzie calls Kermit out on that.|
- On Nickelodeon, the last backstage sequence was cut.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Statler and Waldorf, Hillbilly Singer, The Gogolala Jubilee Jugband (the four males only), Droop, Janice, Zoot, George the Janitor, Mildred Huxtetter, Sam the Eagle, Sweetums, The Swedish Chef, Andre, Animal, Behemoth, Blue Frackle, The Announcer, Frogs, Whatnots, Pigs, Whatnot Dancers: Red-Haired Woman; Pig Dancers: Brunette Female Pig, Brunette Male Pig
- Mahna Mahna, Zelda Rose, Sam the Eagle, Beautiful Day Monster, Leo, Frackles, Mary Louise, Pig, Whatnots
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Waldorf, Swedish Chef, Droop, and Hillbilly Singer
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, George the Janitor, and Mildred Huxtetter ("At the Dance")
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Statler, Sweetums, Blue Frackle, Pig Dancers, and Miss Piggy
- Dave Goelz as The Great Gonzo, Zoot, Behemoth, and Mildred Huxtetter (Panel Discussion)
- Peter Friedman as Andre the Artist
- Eren Ozker as Janice and Droop's dancing partner
- John Lovelady as Monsters, Frogs, and the Announcer
- Falk, Karen. "Jim Henson's Red Book", 8/10/1976 - Candy Bergan (MS)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Sandy Duncan||Avery Schreiber|