|Air Date||May 16, 1983|
|Written by||Jerry Juhl|
Marjory the Trash Heap gets into one of her save-the-world moods. She decides to cast a spell that makes all the radishes in the Gorgs' Garden disappear, hoping that in the ensuing crisis the Fraggles, Doozers and Gorgs will learn how much they all need each other.
- All of the creatures of Fraggle Rock are connected through radishes. The Doozers make Doozer sticks, their building material, out of ground-up radish dust. The Fraggles' two main food sources are radishes and Doozer sticks. The Gorgs need radishes to make their youth and beauty cream...and if they don't use the cream, they vanish! This environmental interconnection is one of the main overarching themes of the series.
- This is the first episode in which the Doozers are treated as separate characters; in early episodes, they merely act like little robots.
- Gobo does not appear in this episode. Red mentions that he's gone exploring the Singing Caverns.
- The Great Radish Famine is a reference to The Irish Potato Famine.
- This is the only first season episode where there is no postcard from Uncle Traveling Matt.
- The Fraggles Search and Find (Jim Henson Video, 1993) -- closing credits cut
- Fraggle Rock: Complete First Season (HIT!, 2005)
- Fraggle Rock: Complete Series Collection (HIT!, 2008)
- Wembley's Egg Surprise (Lions Gate Entertainment, 2010)
International episode titles
- Denmark: "Den store radisemangel"
- Finland: "Suuri retiisinälkä"
- France: "La grande pénurie de radis" (The Great Radish Shortage)
- Germany: "Die große Radieschen-Hungersnot" (The Great Radish Famine)
- Netherlands: "Radijshongersnood" (Radish Famine)
- Norway: "Den store reddikmangelen" (The large radish shortage)
- Poland: "Rzodkiewkowy kataklizm"
- Spain: "La gran escasez de rábano" (The acute storage of horseradish)
- Sweden: "Den stora rädishungern" (The Great Radish Hunger)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|The Minstrels||The Garden Plot|