Puppeteer Steve Whitmire recalled how he got the role:
In 2011, during the promotion for The Muppets, Miss Piggy told People Magazine that she has had to "re-home" Foo-Foo. As Piggy explained, "[Foo-Foo] really didn't much care for Kermit, it seems... She seems to be prejudiced against green people. Anything the color green, she would nip at. So in order to have a future with my Kermie, I had to make that sacrifice." Piggy assured People that she is sending Foo-Foo to pet therapy, and she'll be happy to welcome her dog back home when she gets over her aversion to Kermit. She did return, however, in Muppets Most Wanted, hopefully indicating that the therapy was successful.
According to The Muppets Character Encyclopedia, Foo-Foo has siblings named Oui-Oui, Poo-Poo, Num-Num, Goo-Goo, and Fred.
On The Muppet Show, Foo-Foo was portrayed both by a puppet and a live dog. A 1979 issue of The Muppet Show Fan Club newsletter (vol. 2, no. 2) provided a behind-the-scenes scoop:
- The Muppet Show
- John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together
- The Muppets Go to the Movies
- The Muppets Take Manhattan (Wedding Finale)
- Little Muppet Monsters
- The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years
- A Muppet Family Christmas
- The Jim Henson Hour
- The Muppets at Walt Disney World
- Here Come the Muppets
- Muppets Tonight
- Kermit's Swamp Years
- The Muppets' Wizard of Oz
- The Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora
- Birthday Cat-astrophy
- Muppets Most Wanted
- America's Got Talent
- Muppet Moments
- The Muppets
- Muppets Now
- Two for the Show (1982)
- Foo-Foo, Where Are You? (1991)
- The Phantom of the Muppet Theater (1991)
- Miss Piggy Sound Board Book (1995)
- Kermit's Teeny Tiny Farm (1996)
- Muppet Time (1996)
- Muppet Town (1996)
- Muppet King Arthur (2010)
- Muppet Snow White (2010)
- The Muppets Character Encyclopedia (2014)
- Plume, Kenneth. "Ratting Out: An Interview with Steve Whitmire", Muppet Central. July 19, 1999.
- Jones, Oliver and Liz Raftery. "Muppet Mess: Miss Piggy Forced to Choose Between Her Dog and Her Frog", People.com. Nov 11, 2011.
- Personal communication with performer by Anthony T.