Okay, this one's a bit of a stretch when discussing Cursing Muppets. But my motives are pure.
A fellow Tough Pig and trustworthy source has translated the German dub of the Kermit/proto-Grover: Loud/Soft sketch here. Apparently, Big V says, "Damn it, you woke me up!" before eating Kermit's radio.
1.) Can any other German speaking admins or users verify the rude utterance, and
2.) If verifies, does this deserve a place on the Cursing Muppets page?
--Splurge (talk) 11:43, 26 February 2021 (UTC)
- If a second source can verify, I have two questions:
- 1) Is there any other way that word or words can be translated to something else other than "damnit", perhaps dependent on context?
- 2) Is that word (what is the German word, by the way?) a swear in German, or is it similar to how Americans use the C word vs how the British use it? —Scott (talk) 12:04, 26 February 2021 (UTC)
- Guten Tag, meine Herren! :P
- So, yes, he's technically swearing "damnit!"... but as Scott indicates, sensitivities are different, culturally, and even just geographically. From a contemporary Northern-German perspective I wouldn't even count it as swearing, as pretty much everybody I know probably wouldn't bat an eyelash upon hearing "this kind of language" on a children's show; presumably not even in the late '70s/early '80s (keep in mind though, my great-grandma might've objected). Yet from personal experience around various folks in the US, I'd wager "the same language" in English would still elicit a few gasps from the right (or wrong?) people, so...