The animated series used basically the same formula as the HBO original, including the same theme song. Many episodes consisted of two 15-minute stories; however, a few presented a single full 30-minute plot. The animated version carried on the tradition of original songs, with at least one tune per episode (including a few recycled from the puppet version, such as "Let Me Be Your Song"). In its original run, the animated episodes were book-ended by footage of the original puppet version of Uncle Traveling Matt, introducing the show from Doc's workshop.
A major running gag in the series had a butterfly collector upstaging all of the characters. This gag is broken when the collector gets captured by an animated version of Muppet monster Big V.
The animated version of Fraggle Rock ended after only one season (13 episodes). Executive producer Margaret Loesch, who also headed Muppet Babies, attributed its cancellation to an unnamed head of children's programming at NBC, whose daughter disliked the show, and therefore chose not to renew it.
- Rob Paulsen – Boober Fraggle / Sprocket / Marjory the Trash Heap / Henchy Fraggle / Additional Voices
- originally aired on NBC from 1987 to 1988
- released on home video in various formats
- ↑ Margaret Loesch interview, video interview for the Archive of American Television, conducted on August 18, 2017.
- ↑ The Disney Channel Magazine July/August 1990