Fred Maire (b. 1932) is a German actor and voice actor who dubbed the speaking voice of Gobo Fraggle on Die Fraggles, and human roles in various Muppet projects (including The Wizard in The Muppets Wizard of Oz).
Maire was a trained stage actor, performing in many German cities including Bremen, Berlin and Munich. In Munich, he worked frequently as a voice actor, dubbing Klaus Kinski in over a dozen films, as well as Dennis Hopper (including True Grit), Harvey Keitel (including Sister Act), Charles Aznavour (three times), Groucho Marx (At the Circus and Go West), and David McCallum on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and NCIS.
Maire was a frequent presence in dubs directed by Eberhard Storeck, which in addition to Muppet projects included the Pinocchio anime (the fox) and Maya the Bee. Other dubbing credits range from Danny DeVito in the first dub of Taxi and Michael Landon on Little House on the Prairie to Wile E. Coyote and Witch Hazel in the Looney Tunes. Later credits include David Bradley as Argus Filch in the Harry Potter movies, Billy Connolly in Quartet, John Hurt on Doctor Who, John Bluthal in Hail Caesar, and Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek: Into Darkness. In 2017, he dubbed Yoda in The Last Jedi.
Muppet dubbing credits
- Die Muppet Show: Jim Nabors, Tony Randall
- Muppet Movie (The Muppet Movie): Beauty pageant emcee
- Jim Hensons beste Geschichten: McKay ("Fearnot"), Beggar ("A Story Short")
- Die Muppets feiern Weihnacht (A Muppet Family Christmas): Gobo (speaking)
- Die Muppets feiern Jim Henson (The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson): Harry Belafonte