The character was created by writer Nancy Sans, originally as a day player role. Her first episode, in season 18, involved her getting lost on the way to 123 Sesame Street, where Gordon and two directionally-abled science class students were watching the night sky. She made a few more recurring appearances that season, including Episode 2263, 2293 and 2309.
When she was introduced as a regular, she worked at Hooper's Store, getting the job in Episode 2358. She has developed friendships with Mike and Savion, and had a romantic relationship with Jesse. She graduated from high school (Class of 1990) at the end of season 21 in Episode 2745 and continued to work at Hooper's Store while figuring out what life path to follow.
In Episode 3397 (Season 27), she revealed that she wished to work in child care and had taken night classes, earning her teaching certificate and working part-time at a day care center. From season 27 to season 29, she ran the day care center located Around the Corner.
- Although the character was phased out of the show in 2016, her full name (Dr. Gina Jefferson) appears on the window of the "Community Vet Clinic" at Sesame Street at SeaWorld, opened in 2019.
She has appeared in the following specials:
- The Sesame Street Special
- Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting
- Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake
- Sesame Street Stays Up Late!
- The Street We Live On
- Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
She has also appeared in the following videos:
- The Best of Ernie and Bert
- Big Bird's Favorite Party Games
- Let's Play School
- Rock & Roll!
- Dance Along!
- Sesame Street Visits the Hospital
- Telling the Truth
- Elmo Visits the Doctor
- What's the Name of That Song?
- Elmo's Potty Time