Hollywood Squares is a popular television game show where contestants compete for prizes while playing Tic-Tac-Toe. It was hosted by Peter Marshall from 1966-81, Jon Bauman from 1983-84 (in a combined hour-long format with Match Game), John Davidson from 1986-89, and Tom Bergeron from 1998-2004.
|January 19, 1976||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|July 19, 1976||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|July 26, 1976||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|September 5, 1977||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|December 19, 1977||─||Big Bird (on the Storybook Squares format)|
|February 13, 1978||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|February 20, 1978||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|August 28, 1978||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|June 4, 1979||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|June 11, 1979||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|September 3, 1979||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|December 24, 1979||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
|April 7, 1980||─||Big Bird/Oscar|
Big Bird and Oscar also made appearances on the concurrent syndicated version, which aired from 1971-81. Big Bird addressed Marshall as "Mr. Marshmallow", akin to his difficulties with Mr. Hooper's name.
|May 21, 2001||─||Oscar the Grouch|
|May 25, 2001||─||Big Bird (500th episode)|
|April 30, 2001||─||Kermit the Frog|
|November 19 and 21, 2001||─||Elmo|
|February 22, 2002||─||Kermit the Frog|
|May 13, 2002||─||Kermit and Miss Piggy|
|June 7, 2002||─||Bear|
|July 16, 17, 19, and 20, 2002||─||Bear (Whoopi Goldberg's final episodes)|
|January 20, 2003||─||Kermit|
|April 28, 2003||─||Kermit|
|May 12-16, 2003||─||Miss Piggy ("Blondes Have More Fun" week)|
|August 20, 2003||─||Kermit|
|November 17, 2003||─||Kermit and Miss Piggy ("Dynamic Duos" week)|
|October 27, 2003||─||Bear|
|January 12, 2004||─||Bear|
|April 12, 2004||─||Elmo|
- The game "Trivial, But True" in The Muppet CD-ROM: Muppets Inside is based entirely around the Hollywood Squares format.
- The September 2004 edition of Sesame Street Magazine features a pull-out poster of Sesame Squares, referencing the show.
- Hollywood Squares is where Big Bird met M*A*S*H actor Gary Burghoff, who inspired Big Bird to name his teddy bear Radar.
- During the "Blondes Have More Fun" week on May 12-16, 2003, Miss Piggy starred alongside The Muppet Show guest stars Florence Henderson and Phyllis Diller. Other guests included Pamela Anderson (center square), Kathy Kinney, Charo, Nicole Sullivan, the Hilton Sisters and Loni Anderson. The show was produced by Henry Winkler and Michael Levitt (who had replaced Whoopi Goldberg and Moffitt-Lee Productions as producers for that season).
- Caroll Spinney stated in The Wisdom of Big Bird, that he's made over 140 appearances on Hollywood Squares, and in the audio commentary for I Am Big Bird, he more specifically cited 146 appearances.
- ALF replaced John Davidson in one episode of the 1986 version.
- Jack Parnell composed the original theme for the UK version, Celebrity Squares (also an ATV production).
- Warwick Davis hosted ITV's revival of Celebrity Squares in 2014.