|DESIGN||Rollie Krewson builder|
Jane Kangaroo was a recurring character on The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss. The character's roots lie in the 1954 Dr. Seuss book Horton Hears a Who, where the chief antagonist was a nameless, sour kangaroo who refused to believe Horton's tale and feared that he was a menace to the whole jungle. In the 1970 animated adaptation of the book, the kangaroo was christened Jane, and the name was retained for Wubbulous World.
Like her literary portrayal, Jane is a snobbish matron, and the mother of Junior Kangaroo, and resides in the Jungle of Nool. Her valuing of the status quo and insistence on order occasionally precipitates crises. Notably, in "The Mystery of Winna-Bango Falls," Jane orders the Winna-Bango Falls residents to stop playing with fruit peels and instead to throw them away, causing an environmental catastrophe.
While often serving as an antagonist, Jane tends to be depicted more sympathetically than the show's other more villainous troublemakers such as Yertle or the Grinch, her worst actions often attributed to delusions of grandeur or short sightedness rather than intentional malice or selfishness. In most cases she realises the consequences of her mistakes, she is repentant. She is also shown to have a motherly personality, being very protective of Junior and sometimes helping Horton care for his son, Morton, if through her own eccentrically regimented way. In keeping with her obsession with order in the jungle, Jane is also recurrently shown to value tidiness and housekeeping.
- Episode 101: The Gink
- Episode 102: Who Are You, Sue Snue?
- Episode 107: The Snoozer
- Episode 108: Mrs. Zabarelli's Holiday Baton
- Episode 109: The Mystery of Winna-Bango Falls
- Episode 113: The Muckster
- Episode 118: Horton Has a Hit
- Episode 120: The Grinch Meets His Max / Halfway Home to Malamaroo
- Episode 202: The Cat in the Hat Cleans Up His Act
- Episode 208: The Cat in the Hat's First-First Day
- Episode 210: The Cat in the Hat's Indoor Picnic
- Episode 211: A Bird's Guide to Health
- Episode 217: Talkin' with the Cat