Little House on the Prairie was the second in a series of beloved children's books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and was first published in 1935. The books are recollections from Wilder's childhood in the Midwest of the United States during the end of the 19th century. The books were also the basis of a television series of the same name, which ran from 1974 to 1984, starring Michael Landon.
Landon's portrayal of Charles Ingalls is listed as #79 in Bravo's list of the 100 Greatest TV Characters.
- "Coming Attractions with Statler and Waldorf" featured a review of the show in the Winter 1984 issue of Muppet Magazine.
- The show was referenced in the first episode of Muppets Tonight, appearing on the KMUP schedule as "Little Mouse On the Prairie."
- Elmo's World: Wild Wild West! features an animated story entitled "Little Doghouse on the Prairie."
- Jason Bateman played James Cooper Ingalls
- Red Buttons played William 'Willie' O'Hara in "Circus Man" (1975)
- Johnny Cash played Caleb Hodgekiss in "The Collection" (1976)
- Mariette Hartley played Elizabeth Thurmond in "For My Lady" (1976)
- Michael Landon played Pa Ingalls
- Buck Edwards worked as an assistant director and was the location manager on The Muppet Movie.