Little Richard (1932-2020) was a rock 'n' roll singer who rose to fame in the 1950s with such hit songs as "Tutti Frutti" and "Good Golly, Miss Molly." An early pioneer of rock 'n' roll, Penniman has influenced generations of rhythm and blues and rock music artists. His original injection of funk into the rock 'n' roll beat in the mid-1950s also had a profound influence on the development of the genre.
Little Richard has appeared with the Muppets several times:
- In 1994, he appeared on Sesame Street performing a rockin' arrangement of "Rubber Duckie." This version appeared on the 1994 cassette Sesame Street Celebrates!, and the 1995 CD Splish Splash: Bath Time Fun. (First: Episode 3263)
- In 1994, he appeared on Sesame Street to sing about feelings with Rosita. (First: Episode 3225)
- In 1994, he was one of several celebrities to make a cameo appearance in the Muppets' music video "She Drives Me Crazy."
- In 1997, he appeared in Muppets Tonight Episode 208 performing "I Hear You Knocking." Beaker also does an uncanny Little Richard impression, as seen earlier in the episode.
Not known as an actor, he has made appearances on Baywatch, Miami Vice, and as himself on The Simpsons, Pee-wee Herman's Christmas Special, Full House, Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star, and the soap operas One Life to Live and The Young and the Restless.
- "Little Richard" was born Richard Wayne Penniman.