Louis Armstrong (1901-1971) was an American Jazz trumpeter and singer, from New Orleans, Louisiana. With his strong stage presence and recognizable voice, Armstrong crossed over from a singer/songwriter to a celebrity personality, influencing popular music as well the jazz community.
- Oscar the Grouch sells a trumpet to Gordon in Sesame Street Episode 0154 that he claims was owned by Louis Armstrong.
- Kevin Clash based Hoots' voice on Louis Armstrong's voice, and Steve Whitmire wanted to base Lips on him as well. Clash uses a similar voice for a trumpet-playing jar in the Sesame Street song, "Recycling Blues."
- In Episode 3448 of Sesame Street, the Worm World Music Festival features Gooey Armstrong from New Orleans.
- Armstrong's recording of "Hotter Than That" was used in a two-part segment with Baby Tooth and the Fuzzy Funk. (First: Episode 3566)
- Northern Calloway played Louis Armstrong in the New Federal Theater's production of Louis in 1981.