Maurice Monster is a light-blue monster with a bright green nose on Sesame Street.
He appeared as a named character as early as Episode 0806. He also appeared in Episode 1262, 1267 and 1581. He was referred to by name again in the "First and Last" sketch (First: Episode 1307), and in the game show sketch "Say the Word" (First: Episode 1373).
The puppet debuted under the name "Elmo Monderporg" (performed by Jim Henson) in a season 5 sketch where Grover finds an empty telephone booth (First: Episode 0654). For this first appearance, along with his appearances in seasons 6 and 7, the puppet was a Green Anything Muppet draped entirely in blue fur. The blue fur pattern would later be converted into an AM monster by season 10, and was used frequently as a background monster from 1975 through 1986.
Maurice appeared as one of the Frazzletones in 1976, singing "Frazzle" with the title monster himself. He had a major role in a 1975 episode, where he and Herry Monster were afraid of the dark out on the street and decide to sleep near Big Bird. In Season 11, he was featured in Monsterpiece Theater's "Me, Claudius" (along with Harvey, Bruce, and Elmo).
Like most Anything Monsters, Maurice's puppeteer varied according to the sketch. Performers have included Richard Hunt (in "Say the Word," "Me Claudius," the "First and Last" sketch, and the song "Beginning, Middle, End,"), Jerry Nelson (in "Frazzle" and "The Wonderful World of T-Shirts" sketch), Jim Henson (the Grover telephone booth sketch), Martin P. Robinson ("All By Myself"), Kevin Clash (Episode 2221), and others on various occasions.
In 2017, the puppet reappeared, refurbished, heavily altered and closely resembling Frazzle as Boso in Eine Möhre für Zwei: Pizza mit Biss, a spin-off of German co-production Sesamstrasse. It would again be modified for Karli's foster dad Clem in the series of "Sesame Street in Communities" about foster care. Even after the puppet was modified, the original variation re-appeared as an animated chef on the YouTube video "Find Red with Elmo and Abby".
- Sesame Street
- "Telephone booth" (as Elmo Monderporg)
- Episode 0748
- Episode 0806 (involved in main plot)
- "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend"
- "Fur (as a member of The Aristocrats)
- "Frazzle" (as a member of the Frazzletones)
- Episode 1052
- "Beginning, Middle, End"
- "Are Monsters Scary"
- Episode 1262
- Episode 1267
- "First and Last" (1979 remake)
- "ABC Disco"
- "Say the Word"
- Leslie Mostly interviews Guy Smiley
- "Easy Listening Band"
- "Monsterpiece Theater: Me Claudius"
- "Monster Marching Band"
- "The Wonderful World of T-Shirts" (as Kermit the Gorf)
- "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco"
- Episode 1581
- "News Flash: First Day of School"
- "Suzanne Farrell: The Count Counts Spins"
- "Handful of Crumbs"
- "All By Myself"
- "Me Gotta Be Blue"
- "Grover Sells Newspapers"
- "Ernie and Bert at the movies: The Picnic"
- "Kermit: In and Out"
- Episode 2221
- The Muppet Movie: "Rainbow Connection" finale
- The Muppets Take Manhattan: Wedding finale
- Follow That Bird
- Don't Forget to Watch the Movie