Modern Family is an ABC television series that premiered in 2009 about the life of three interconnected families told in mockumentary style.
- Glimpsed on the CDE Wednesday night schedule in The Muppets is a show titled "Different Families," an allusion to Modern Family.
- In a 2015 interview with The Telegraph promoting The Muppets, Kermit the Frog describes the upcoming series, "we sort of are a 'Modern Family' living in 'The Middle' in an 'Office'."
- In "Unplugged," while waiting for an interview at the pre-school, Cameron thinks that one of Lily's strong points could be the fact that "she always perks up whenever we watch Charlie Rose." Mitchell states it was a one-time occurrence, mainly because Elmo was a guest.
- In "Hit and Run", Cameron and Mitchell mistakenly enter a showing of The Muppets. Believing they are going to watch a film with a lot of blood and gore, Cam tries to convince a father to leave the cinema before the movie starts. When he leaves, he explains to the other family that he was "always a fan the Muppets, especially of the two guys in the theater who wouldn't shut up." Once at home, they retell their story to their extended family. When their daughter Lily overhears that they were kicked out of The Muppets, she responds sorrowfully, asking, "you saw the Muppet movie without me?" Mitchell tries to convince her that they only watched "just the first two numbers".
- In "Haley's 21st Birthday," Claire and Haley drunkenly decide to get matching mother-daughter tattoos. Upon hearing this, Cameron decides that he and Mitchell will also get matching tattoos saying "Ernie" and "Bert."
- In "Spring Break," Phil cites Kermit the Frog as one of his inspirations for taking up the banjo.
- In "Good Grief," Phil reads off a list of ice cream places in West Hollywood. One mentioned is "Sherbet and Ernie."
- In "A Year of Birthdays," Dylan admits he developed a fear of banjos after seeing The Muppet Movie.
- Julie Bowen plays Claire Dunphy
- Ty Burrell plays Phil Dunphy
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson plays Mitchell Pritchett
- Nolan Gould plays Luke Dunphy
- Sarah Hyland plays Haley Dunphy
- Nathan Lane plays Pepper Saltzman
- James Marsden played Barry in "Slow Down Your Neighbors"
- Ed O'Neill plays Jay Pritchett
- Patton Oswalt played Ducky in "Las Vegas"
- Rico Rodriguez plays Manny Delgado
- Eric Stonestreet plays Cameron Tucker
- Danny Trejo played Gus in "Dance Dance Revelation"
- Sofia Vergara plays Gloria Delgado-Pritchett
- Fred Willard plays Frank Dunphy
- ↑ "Kermit opens up about Miss Piggy split ahead of new Muppets show", The Telegraph, August 5, 2015.