|This article is about an upcoming project, product, or production.|
|Released||March 21, 2014|
|Written by||James Bobin & Nick Stoller|
|Music|| Bret McKenzie (songs)|
Christophe Beck (score)
|Studio|| Walt Disney Pictures|
|Rated||PG for some mild action|
It was first announced in March 2012 that Disney is moving forward on the project with James Bobin (director of The Muppets) and Nick Stoller (co-writer of The Muppets) writing the screenplay. Bobin also returned to direct the film.
The film has been described as a "comedy caper" set in Europe. Ricky Gervais will star as "a male lead whose intentions are always in question" along with Ty Burrell as a French Interpol agent, Tina Fey as "a feisty prison guard named Nadia," and a "slew of cameos".
According to an interview with the Kermit the Frog:
“The idea of this film is that our gang is on this global tour, and we're selling out these grand theaters all over Europe—in Berlin, Madrid, London—but we sort of get into a little bit of trouble when we run across my doppelgänger. He's the world's number one criminal, Constantine, and he happens to look an awful lot like me. I won't tell you any more than that, but let's just say mayhem ensues.”
Disney’s "Muppets Most Wanted" takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine—the World’s Number One Criminal and a dead ringer for Kermit—and his dastardly sidekick Dominic, aka Number Two, portrayed by Ricky Gervais. The film stars Tina Fey as Nadya, a feisty prison guard, and Ty Burrell as Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon. Disney’s “Muppets Most Wanted” is directed by James Bobin and produced by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Bobin co-wrote the screenplay with Nicholas Stoller, who is also executive producer with John G. Scotti. Featuring music from Academy Award®-winning songwriter Bret McKenzie, “Muppets Most Wanted” hits the big screen March 21, 2014.
- Muppet Performers
- Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, Peter Linz, Louise Gold, Mak Wilson, Warrick Brownlow-Pike
- Human Cast
- Ricky Gervais as Dominic, aka Number Two
- Tina Fey as Nadya, a feisty prison guard
- Ty Burrell as Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon
- Cameo Performances By
- Sean Combs
- Celine Dion
- Dexter Fletcher
- Lady Gaga
- Zach Galifianakis
- Salma Hayek
- Tom Hiddleston as "The Great Escapo"
- Frank Langella
- Ray Liotta
- Silvana Lovin
- Ross Lynch
- Bridgit Mendler
- Josh Pence
- Debby Ryan
- Til Schweiger
- Peter Serafinowicz
- Danny Trejo
- Stanley Tucci
- Christoph Waltz
- 80s Robot, Afghan Hound, Animal, Annie Sue, Beaker, Behemoth, Beauregard, Blue Frackle, Blustering Bellowpane Monster, Bobo the Bear, Bulls, Carter, Chickens, Constantine, Crazy Harry, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Dr. Teeth, Droop, Floyd, Foo-Foo, Fozzie Bear, Geri and the Atrics (drummer) Gonzo, Janice, Kermit the Frog, Lew Zealand, Link Hogthrob, Lips, Mahna Mahna, Marvin Suggs, Mildred Huxtetter, Miss Piggy, Muppaphone, The Mutations, The Newsman, Penguins, Pepe the King Prawn, Pokey, Quongo, Rizzo the Rat, Robin the Frog, Rowlf the Dog, Sam the Eagle, Scooter, Sheep, The Snowths, The Swedish Chef, Sweetums, Thog, Walter, Wayne and Wanda, Whatnots, Zoot
- Director: James Bobin
- Writers: James Bobin and Nick Stoller
- Executive Producers: John G. Scotti, Nick Stoller
- Producers: David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman
- Muppet Captain: Bill Barretta
- Original Songs: Bret McKenzie
- Music by: Christophe Beck
- Muppet Designers and Builders: Puppet Heap
- Argentina - March 20, 2014
- Philippines / United States - March 21, 2014
- UK - March 28, 2014
- Australia / New Zealand - April 3, 2014
- Netherlands - April 16, 2014
- Singapore - April 24, 2014
- Germany - May 1, 2014
- France - May 7, 2014
On March 3, 2012 it was announced in Variety that James Bobin and Nick Stoller would pen the screenplay for a sequel to The Muppets. Bobin and Stoller started writing the script on April 12, 2012 which was described as a "comedy caper" set in Europe. In a March 2012 interview, Jason Segel (co-writer, producer, and star of The Muppets) said that he will not return for the sequel, stating: "I have handed off the Muppets to my writing partner [Nick Stoller] and to James Bobin. My goal was to bring the Muppets back and I feel like I accomplished that. I feel like they're in really good hands. But it was half a decade of my life, I just want a little breather, and I know that they're going to nail it." Stoller said the film could possibly have a cameo for Jason Segel, however Segel later stated that he will not appear in the film.
Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy appeared at CinemaCon on April 24, 2012 to officially announce that a new Muppet movie is in development. The official Muppets Facebook page reported the news with a teaser image for "The Muppets 2."
It was reported in November 4 that producer Todd Lieberman and composer Bret McKenzie will return for the sequel, which began filming in late January 2013 at Pinewood Studio in London. Principal production in London wrapped on April 16, 2013 and filming moved to Los Angeles in May 2013.
In February 2013, production designer Eve Stewart let slip that she was working on a scene featuring Miss Piggy's wedding at the Tower of London. In addition to the United Kingdom, filming also took place outside the El Capitan Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, to recreate the previous film's ending.
In January 2013, Disney announced a release date of March 21, 2014 for the film. The working title for the film, which was used throughout principle filming, was "The Muppets... Again!." On June 13, 2013, Disney announced that the film has been retitled "Muppets Most Wanted."
In October 2012, it was announced that Christoph Waltz was originally in negotiations to star as the lead Interpol inspector in the film, however in December it was announced that Ty Burrell was signed to the role (Waltz had declined the part due to schedule conflicts). In an interview posted later that month, Waltz said he'd been talking about the movie again and may still appear, but "it might just be one of these little what-they-call cameos."
On December 16, 2012 Ricky Gervais announced that he would star in the film. Gervais tweeted: "I have just signed up to play the lead in the next Muppet movie. I have the biggest trailer but Kermit will spend some time in my sink." Gervais commented on his role in the film on his website: "You may have read that I have accepted the lead role in the next Muppet movie. I didn't so much accept it as jump at the chance. I fucking love The Muppets. (I'll probably have to tone down my language for Disney.) We start filming in January. I can't wait. I'll be hangin' with those cuddly little critters all day."
In January 2013, reports surfaced that Tina Fey was in the final negotiations to play "a Russian gulag prison guard" in the film.
In July 2013, Kermit and Miss Piggy appeared a YouTube video from the cast and crew of Muppets Most Wanted congratulating the royal family on the birth of Prince George. Later that month Muppets Most Wanted was featured in a series of Disney Channel interstitials staring Disney Channel stars and cameo actors Ross Lynch and Debby Ryan.
Disney released the first teaser trailer for the film on August 6, 2013 and was shown in theaters with screenings of Disney's Planes. The film's theatrical poster was released on October 28, 2013 and a full theatrical trailer was released on November 21, 2013.
- Teaser (August 6, 2013)
- Trailer (November 21, 2013) - Domestic and International versions
Behind the scenes photos
Merchandise and tie-ins
Several books based on the film—Kermits Double Trouble, an official tour book, a read-along storybook and CD, and a junior novelization—are all planned for release in February 2014. Additionally, The Muppets Character Encyclopedia will feature the film's new characters and have direct movie tie-ins.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Twitter: @MuppetsStudio, January 15, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Release Dates for Pirates of the Caribbean 5, The Muppets 2, and 1952, Collider.com. January 14, 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 THE MUPPETS Sequel Update: Filming Begins in Late January at Pinewood Studios in London; Bret McKenzie Writing New Songs, Collider.com. November 4, 2012.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Christoph Waltz in Negotiations to Star in 'The Muppets' Sequel", The Hollywood Reporter. October 31, 2012.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Vulture: Ty Burrell Set to Star in Muppets Sequel. December 8, 2012.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Twitter.com - @RickyGervais. December 19, 2012
- ↑ Entertainment Weekly. A first look at the Muppets sequel, 'Muppets...Again!' -- EXCLUSIVE. January 30, 2013
- ↑ Peter Serafinowicz, Dexter Fletcher cast in 'The Muppets… Again'. Digital Spy. March 21, 2013
- ↑ tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com "ABC to Air 'Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular on Thaksgiving Night, November 28" Written By Sara Bibel, October 17th, 2013
- ↑ 
- ↑ P. Diddy to Meet P. Prawn in New Muppet Movie
- ↑ [Christoph Waltz Talks Django Unchained, Deleted Scenes and The Muppet Sequel; Reveals He Might be Doing a Cameo and Dancing with Miss Piggy
- ↑ Til Schweiger Takes a Break from Acting - Makes Exception for Muppets (2013-02-07)
- ↑ Twitter: @serafinowicz
- ↑ Connelly, Brendon.Another Muppets Sequel Cameo Confirmed – And This One Brings The Fancy Footwork. April 5, 2013. BleedingCool.com.
- ↑ Disney preps 'Muppets' sequel by Marc Graser (3/3/12)
- ↑ MTV News 'Muppets' Stars Kermit And Walter Weigh In On Jason Segel's Departure 3/21/12
- ↑ Jason Segel Says No ‘Muppets’ Sequel Cameo
- ↑ facebook.com/muppets 4/24/12
- ↑ Matt Vogel, Twitter
- ↑ Puchko, Kristy (12 February 2013). "Miss Piggy Finally Getting Married In The Muppets... Again!". Cinema Blend.
- ↑ Shaw-Williams, H. (10 May 2013). "‘The Muppets… Again!’ Set Photos – Jason Segel’s Character Returning?". ScreenRant.
- ↑ Tina Fey in Talks For ‘The Muppets’ Sequel; Working Title Revealed
- ↑ Christoph Waltz Talks DJANGO UNCHAINED, Deleted Scenes and THE MUPPET Sequel; Reveals He Might be Doing a Cameo and Dancing with Miss Piggy. December 23, 2012.
- ↑ RickyGervais.com December 2012
- ↑ Tina Fey in Talks to Join Disney's 'Muppets' Sequel (Exclusive)
- ↑ Muppets Most Wanted Poster