New Mexico is the 47th state of the United States of America.
- The state of New Mexico in general served as the backdrop for a series of episodes in Season 7 of Sesame Street. Big Bird, Buffy, and other characters visited Pueblos and learned about Southwest culture.
- The desert scenes for The Muppet Movie were shot in Albuquerque, NM.
- Though much of The Great Muppet Caper was filmed and set in London, England, the opening scenes, in which Kermit the Frog and friends descend in a hot air balloon to a bustling city street below, were filmed in Albuquerque, NM.
- Chauffering the various adults from Sesame Street to the studio in Elmopalooza, Grover takes a wrong turn and winds up in Roswell, NM, best known as the alleged site of alien landings.
- Zeke Stillwater, one of the Birthday Muppets when the Muppets Took Over Today, is from Missing Teeth, New Mexico.
- Doorknob World is a theme park located in Beluga, New Mexico in the Muppet Babies book Gonzo and the Great Race.
- Gonzo visits "Carlsbird Caverns" in the video game The Great Gonzo in WordRider.
- Jim Henson owned 313 acres of land in Santa Fe, NM. Ninety minutes north, in Taos, NM, an area of foothills serves as his final resting place. Two years following his death, the Henson family spread his ashes in an undisclosed location following a sentiment he once made to his son John while driving near the area, "I really feel like that's the place I'm supposed to be."