|Written by||Ringo Starr|
It was first performed by two Anything Muppets in Sesame Street Episode 0019. In this version, a green Anything Muppet sang lead vocals with a blue fish singing bass backup and a yodeling clam. The segment taught children how to count to eight.
The song was sung again on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1970 where an octopus constantly interrupted the performance with a bunch of bad puns (and who got his comeuppance from a gigantic, hungry clam). A clip from the animated Beatles film, Yellow Submarine, is used in the sketch.
- Sesame Street version
- Ed Sullivan Show version
- Jim Henson - Diver
- Frank Oz - Octopus and Giant Clam
- Jerry Nelson - Clam
- The clam puppet that appears in the Ed Sullivan and Sesame Street versions are the same, but with different eyes.
- The Sesamstrasse dub of the Sesame Street version credits the singer as Kermit instead of the Green Anything Muppet it actually is.
- Audio (Sesame Street version)
- Video (The Muppet Show version)
- Children's Songs and Stories (1985)
- It's the Muppets: Meet the Muppets! (1993)
- It's Not Easy Being Green (Muppet Sing Alongs) (1994)
- Video (Ed Sullivan show version)