Osvaldo, el Gruñón (Oswald the Grouch) is a Grouch who lives in Puerto Rico. He first appeared in the Season 11 premiere of Sesame Street, voiced by Norberto Kerner and puppeteered by Richard Hunt.
After the week of shows in Puerto Rico, he re-appeared in Episode 1325, where he visited Oscar in New York, and then in Episode 1443, where he becomes an air steward for a Grouch airline. In some episodes (including Episode 1682), it was established that Osvaldo had a pet dog named Peligro.
The Osvaldo puppet has the ability to move his eyes, and later was used as a background Grouch, sans nose (such as in Follow That Bird) as well as other Grouch characters (including Worby, Dr. Kvetch, and Spill O'Reilly). The puppet also appeared among the Sesame Street gang in A Muppet Family Christmas.
- Season 11: 1316, 1318, 1319, 1320, 1321, 1324, 1325, 1443
- Season 12: 1467, 1486, 1491, 1527, 1529, 1539, 1557
- Season 13: 1661, 1662
- Season 14: 1783, 1812, 1825
- Season 15: 1873
- Season 16: 2003
- Season 25: 3258
- In some books and scripts featuring the character, his name is spelled as "Oswaldo" instead.
- The Sesame Street Dictionary (1980)
- The Sesame Street Word Book (1983)
- Ernie's Finish the Picture (1985)
- Splish-Splashy Day (1989)
- What's in Oscar's Trash Can? and Other Good-Night Stories (1991) (as "Uncle Oswaldo")
- Oscar's Grouch Jamboree (1994)
- ↑ Old School: Volume 3 DVD (2012). Sonia Manzano audio commentary on Episode 1316.
- ↑ The Muppet Mindset: Interview with Muppeteer Gabriel Velez - Part 1
- ↑ Video of Velez performing Osvaldo in a Street scene, circa 1980s
- ↑ Fiesta Songs! liner notes