Portlandia is a sketch comedy series on IFC starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein as they play various residents of Portland, Oregon.
Both lead actors play a variety of recurring and one-off characters, including "Fred" and "Carrie". "Inside Portlandia", a feature on the second season DVD, producer Jonathan Krisel asks rhetorically, "who are they? Are they going out? Are they just friends? We've done sketches where they live together, they live separately, you know, see we thought of them as this kind of Ernie and Bert, like, what is their sexual preference, who are these two weirdos, who are on these adventures together?"
- Oscar the Grouch appeared in the season 5 episode "Fashion." When Fred is diagnosed with grumpiness, Oscar briefly appears in an alley way to encourage him to embrace his inner grump. Matt Vogel puppeteered Oscar for the scene with Paul McGinnis assisting, which was later re-dubbed by Caroll Spinney.
- In the season 1 episode "Baseball", a high-strung couple (Fred and Carrie) attend an outdoor movie screening in a park:
- Carrie: Last time we were here, according to my watch, the movie started at 8:30 on the dot.
- Organiser: Well, if it's not completely dark, then...
- Fred: Just, just for next time, that's all. It's just that last time ran a little bit differently. We were here for The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan.
- Fred Armisen plays various characters
- Roseanne Barr played The Interim Mayor and The New Mayor
- Rachel Bloom played Rachel in "No Thank You"
- Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson
- Claire Danes played Storyteler Coaching
- Rachel Dratch
- Jeff Goldblum plays Adam
- Bill Hader appears in "Blackout" as Birdman
- Sean Hayes played Sean
- Jane Lynch played Barbecue Planner
- Kyle MacLachlan plays the mayor
- Penny Marshall played Barbara
- Jack McBrayer played a Whole Foods customer
- Edie McClurg played the Mayor's Secretary
- Seth Meyers played Chad Koop
- Bobby Moynihan played Robert
- Paul Reubens played Weirdoes' Lawyer
- Tim Robbins played Excellency
- Maya Rudolph
- Jay Pharoah played Jay
- Andy Richter
- Andy Samberg played Andy
- Paul Simon played himself
- Robert Smigel played Jarvis
- Gwen Stefani played herself
- George Wendt played George Heely
- Jack White played himself
- Olivia Wilde plays Brit