Prince Rogers Nelson (1958-2016) appeared as a guest star in episode 201 of Muppets Tonight on September 13, 1997. At the time, he was known as (dubbed by the media as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince). A Muppet caricature of the star appeared in the same episode.
- In Sesame Street Episode 2222, Telly overhears that Leo the Party Monster is having a dance party. Leo hypes how exciting his party will be by saying "we're gonna party like it's 1999!"
- The cover of Purple Rain Shalom Sesame episode "The Land of Israel". in the "Rechov Video" segment from the
- Purple Rain was spoofed as "Piggy Reigns" by (Frog) Prince in the 1993 Muppet Trading Cards set.
- In Sesame Street Episode 2558, The Cosby Kids argue over what is sadder, not making the Football team, a best friend moving away, or losing a purple pen with a picture of Prince.
- The Sesame Street song "Nineteen" spoofs Prince's song "1999."
- In the Abby's Flying Fairy School segment, "Sleeping Bloggy," Gonnigan turns into a prince and back again, and then Mrs. Sparklenose tells him that he'll always be "the fairy formerly known as a prince."
- Near the end of The Muppets, Tex Richman refers the Muppets, having lost the telethon, as "You artists formerly known as The Muppets", whilst The Muppets: The Movie Junior Novel refers to Gonzo (now a plumbing magnate) as the artist formerly known as The Great Gonzo.
- On April 21, 2016, upon the news of Prince's death, the photo of Kermit as Prince from "Piggy Reigns" spoof was posted on Kermit the Frog's Facebook and Twitter accounts along with a message saying: "From Frog to Prince: We will always love your music and you. Our hearts are yours. Thanks for being a friend."