- Episode 122: Ethel Merman: Kermit the Frog begins his introduction to Richard Bradsaw's puppet act by saying, "We at The Muppet Show are big fans of puppets, for some reason."
- Episode 124: Mummenschanz: When Waldorf comments that the Mummenschanz are a lot like puppets, Statler says that he's always hated puppets.
- Episode 318: Leslie Uggams: When Big Bird tells Miss Piggy that he's from Sesame Street, Miss Piggy asks, "Isn't that that childrens television show with puppets?"
- Episode 413: Dizzy Gillespie: When Scooter sees Dizzy Gillespie playing with a marionette, he tells Dizzy that Kermit only has one rule: There are no puppets allowed.
- Episode 508: Señor Wences: This episode features several references and inside jokes about the Muppets being puppets, including:
- Kermit telling the audience that the show will have a change of pace and be a puppet show.
- Gonzo asking Kermit and Fozzie Bear what a puppet is, and after Kermit and Fozzie have difficulty explaining to Gonzo what puppets are, Gonzo remarks that it's such a stupid idea that he wouldn't even do such an act.
- In a Global Grover sketch, Grover plays with a marionette, remarking that it must be great to be a puppet.
- Episode 210: How to Pick Up Girls: Earl and the Baby enjoy a puppet show, while Fran insists to Earl that puppets are just for kids, prompting Earl to (unsuccessfully) try to convince Fran that adults can enjoy puppets as well.
- Episode 320: We Are Not Alone: After Fran finds out that Robbie had tricked Earl into recycling and spreading enviromental messgaes on television, Fran tells Robbie that he can't just manipulate Earl like some puppet on national television.
- Episode 414*: Georgie Must Die: Earl tells Roy Hess that Georgie isn't a real hippo, just a guy in a suit, "and a very bad one at that".
- The Muppets Valentine Show: During the song "Love is a Simple Thing", Kermit questions George the Janitor's line that love is "more fun than a puppet show".
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.