Shadow puppets are silhouetted figures performed in high contrast lighting to appear as though the subjects are moving shadows.
The Muppets have used shadow puppets occasionally:
- While not performed with traditional puppets, Sesame Street aired a series of shadow puppet clips performed only with arms and hands, beginning in season 5.
- Richard Bradshaw performed a shadow puppet segment in The Muppet Show episode 122 in which an ostrich, a mouse, and a hippopotamus each play on a slide, and cross a tight rope.
- The Muppet Show’s rendition of "I Know an Old Lady" in episode 205 featured a shadow puppet of an old lady designed by Michael K. Frith and Caroly Wilcox. Wilcox built the puppet using styrene plastic, wood, and tin.
- Nearly every episode of Bear in the Big Blue House featured a segment with Shadow (performed with a more traditional Muppet-style puppet) narrating shadow puppet plays written, designed, and performed by Jon Ludwig.
- In a variation on "I Know an Old Lady", Bad Polly and Mad Monty put on a shadow puppet play called "There Was an Old Pirate" in the Muppet Treasure Island sing along video.
- The Muppets Make Puppets! features instructions on how to make shadow puppets.