South Dakota is the 40th state of the United States of America.
- Mount Rushmore is located in South Dakota. A Muppet version of the mountain landmark was featured in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence and Muppets Tonight.
- In the 1963 film "Charlie Magnetico" for the Bell Data Communications Seminar, the main Magnetico Electronics Inc. office is located in a shack in Dickerson, South Dakota.
- In the film Follow That Bird, when asked if there are any questions, Oscar the Grouch asks, "What's the capital of South Dakota?"
- In a 2000 episode of Sesame Street, as a nod to Follow that Bird, Colambo asks Maria the same question Oscar asks.
- In the video, Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game, Mary and her little lamb are said to hail from Nursery Rhyme, South Dakota.
- The epilogue of The Muppet Show episode 502 contains the following exchange between Statler and Waldorf:
- Statler: South Dakota.
- Waldorf: South Dakota has nothing to do with this show.
- Statler: That's what I want. Nothing to do with this show!