|This article is about an upcoming project, product, or production.|
Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street, originally titled simply Street Gang, is an upcoming Sesame Street documentary based on the book of the same name by Michael Davis. Much like the book, the documentary will follow the story of the creation of Sesame Street and the Children's Television Workshop.
The film was first announced in 2016, with Marah Strauch originally attached to direct. Funding for the production was partially raised from an Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign, which offered customized Sesame Street perks. When the campaign launched, the film was expected to have "a late 2017 or early 2018 release." In Fall 2018, the U.S. streaming and broadcast rights were acquired by HBO and the worldwide rights by Focus Features. The film's release date was later pushed back to 2019, then 2020.
In December 2020, WarnerMedia announced that the film, releasing under HBO's Documentary Films unit and gaining the subtitle "How We Got to Sesame Street," would air on the network and be available to stream on HBO Max in 2021. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film will make its nationwide online world premiere on January 30, 2021 at the Sundance Film Festival, with a second screening on February 1. Geoblocking is set to keep the event limited to US audiences only. Ahead of the film's Sundance premiere, the U.S. theatrical and home entertainment rights were acquired by Screen Media, planned for public release in Spring 2021.
- Director: Marilyn Agrelo
- Produced by Trevor Crafts and Ellen Scherer Crafts
- Producer: Lisa Diamond
- Executive Producers: Lisa Heller, Nancy Abraham, Brian O'Shea, Nat McCormick, Matthew Helderman, Luke Taylor, Mark Myers
- Co-Executive Producer: Michael Davis
- Director of Photography: Luke Geissbühler
- Editor: Ben Gold
- Original Soundtrack Composed by T. Griffin
- Archival Producer: Rich Remsberg
- Associate Editor: Gil Choi
- ‘Sesame Street’ Docu ‘Street Gang’ Coming From ‘Sunshine Superman’ Director Marah Strauch, Deadline.com, April 1, 2016.
- IndieGogo "FAQ: About Street Gang"
- Variety: "Sesame Street Doc ‘Street Gang’ Picked Up by HBO, Focus Features", November 5, 2018.
- Poster from their official website
- @StreetGangMovie bio on Twitter: "COMING IN 2020!", accessed October 23, 2019
- WarnerMedia Pressroom Media Release - "HBO Documentary Films to Debut STREET GANG: HOW WE GOT TO SESAME STREET in 2021", December 8, 2020
- Sundance.org - STREET GANG: HOW WE GOT TO SESAME STREET
- Variety: "‘Sesame Street’ Documentary Sold to Screen Media, Heads to Sundance", December 18, 2020.