Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street, originally titled simply Street Gang, is a Sesame Street documentary based on the book of the same name by Michael Davis. Much like the book, the documentary focuses on the creation of the Children's Television Workshop and the development of Sesame Street during the first 20 years of the show.
The film was first announced in 2016, with Marah Strauch originally attached to direct. Funding for the production was partially raised from an Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaign, which offered customized Sesame Street perks. When the campaign launched, the film was expected to have "a late 2017 or early 2018 release." The film's release date was later pushed back to 2019, then 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film made its nationwide online world premiere on January 30, 2021 at the Sundance Film Festival, with a second screening on February 1. Geoblocking was set to keep the event limited to US audiences only.
Ahead of the film's Sundance premiere, the U.S. theatrical and home entertainment rights were acquired by Screen Media. The film was later announced for screenings around the country beginning April 23rd. The film additionally received screenings at the Museum of the Moving Image in June.
The film became available to rent digitally on May 7th, with a DVD and Blu-ray release on July 6th.
In December 2020, WarnerMedia announced that the film, co-produced by HBO's Documentary Films division, would air on the network and be available to stream on HBO Max, with an eventual release date of December 13, 2021.
- Home Video Extras
- Jerry and Richard: The Puppeteers (2:53)
- When It Went Wrong: Muppet Outtakes (2:51)
- Joe Raposo: Musical Genius (3:17)
- Sunny Days: Origin of a Song (1:08)
- Sounds of Sesame Street Featurette (2:42)
- Music Experimentation (iTunes Exclusive) (3:51)
- Christopher Cerf, Roscoe Orman, Sonia Manzano, Kate Stone Lucas, Polly Stone, Joan Ganz Cooney, Lloyd Morrisett, Sharon Lerner, Lisa Henson, Brian Henson, Frank Biondo, Bob McGrath, Holly Robinson Peete, Matt Robinson, Jr., Dolores Robinson, Fran Brill, Emilio Delgado, Caroll Spinney, Oscar the Grouch, Nick Raposo, Norman Stiles
- Archival footage interviewees: Jon Stone, Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Ernie and Bert, Joe Raposo
- "The Muppet Wiki" is among those mentioned in the end credits under "The Producers Wish To Thank."
- Director: Marilyn Agrelo
- Produced by Trevor Crafts and Ellen Scherer Crafts
- Producer: Lisa Diamond
- Executive Producers: Lisa Heller, Nancy Abraham, Brian O'Shea, Nat McCormick, Matthew Helderman, Luke Taylor, Mark Myers
- Co-Executive Producer: Michael Davis
- Director of Photography: Luke Geissbühler
- Editor: Ben Gold
- Original Soundtrack Composed by T. Griffin
- Archival Producer: Rich Remsberg
- Associate Editor: Gil Choi
- ‘Sesame Street’ Docu ‘Street Gang’ Coming From ‘Sunshine Superman’ Director Marah Strauch, Deadline.com, April 1, 2016.
- IndieGogo "FAQ: About Street Gang"
- Poster from their official website
- @StreetGangMovie bio on Twitter: "COMING IN 2020!", accessed October 23, 2019
- Sundance.org - STREET GANG: HOW WE GOT TO SESAME STREET
- Variety: "‘Sesame Street’ Documentary Sold to Screen Media, Heads to Sundance", December 18, 2020.
- Entertainment Weekly: Watch the trailer for heartwarming Sesame Street documentary Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street, April 6, 2021.
- Variety: "Sesame Street Doc ‘Street Gang’ Picked Up by HBO, Focus Features", November 5, 2018.
- WarnerMedia Pressroom Media Release - "HBO Documentary Films to Debut STREET GANG: HOW WE GOT TO SESAME STREET in 2021", December 8, 2020
- WarnerMedia Pressroom Media Release - "HBO Documentary STREET GANG: HOW WE GOT TO SESAME STREET Debuts December 13", November 23, 2021