In the earliest episodes of the show, Susan was a housewife, having worked as a nurse before she was married. In the latter half of the first season she returned to nursing (in Episode 0096) so that the character might serve as a better role model for young girls in the viewing audience. Among her projects was offering a Measles Vaccination Clinic in Episode 0343. Susan also worked as a mechanic on the street, commonly fixing cars and even the bus when Big Bird went to camp in Episode 1706. During the early seasons, she often sang "One of These Things."
She also headlined her own album, Susan Sings Songs from Sesame Street, and had minor roles in both Sesame Street movies. Although she is still a regular on the show, since Season 29 she has been appearing in only a few episodes per season, in part because fewer shows are produced now. Starting with Season 34, Susan would only appear in one or two episodes per season, excluding Season 42 when she was in four episodes, and the following season, when she didn't appear in any new material. The character was eventually phased out altogether after Season 45, along with several other long time human characters.
- According to Episode 1444, Gordon and Susan first met in Paw Paw, Michigan (Loretta Long's hometown).
- Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
- Don't Eat the Pictures
- Sesame Street Special
- Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting
- Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake
- The Street We Live On
- Bedtime Stories and Songs
- Sing Along
- Big Bird's Favorite Party Games
- Sesame Street Visits the Hospital
- Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration
- What's the Name of That Song?
- Big Bird's Blunder Book (1971)
- I am a Monster (1976)
- The Sesame Street Block Party Coloring Book (1977)
- The Count Counts a Party (1981)
- Everyone Makes Mistakes (1983)
- I'll Miss You, Mr. Hooper (1984)
- Susan and Gordon Adopt a Baby
- It's Not Fair! (1986)
- Grover's Bad Dream (1990)