"The Alphabet Song" is a popular children's song in which the letters of the alphabet are sung to the tune of the French folk melody "Ah vous dirais-je, maman," more commonly known as the melody of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." "The Alphabet Song" has been performed countless times on Sesame Street, including in street scenes, animated segments, filmed inserts, and by celebrities. One of its most memorable renditions is by Kermit and a kid named Joey on Episode 0426; Joey replaces several letters of the alphabet with "Cookie Monster."
Sesame Street Performances
- In an animated segment, a young girl named Gloria sings the song with an offscreen voice giving her commands. This early cartoon was seen in the Sesame Street Pitch Reel and Sesame Street Test Show 1.
- Big Bird sings "The Alphabet Song" in Episode 0298.
- Jim Nabors sang the song on Sesame Street. (First: Episode 0176)
- In an animated segment, a small piano player in a lunchbox sang this song, and was joined by two construction workers. (First: Episode 0449)
- Lena Horne and the Anything Muppets. (First: Episode 0575)
- Bobby McFerrin sang "The Alphabet Song" with Hoots the Owl, David and the Kids on Sesame Street. (First: Episode 2342)
- George Benson sang the song on Sesame Street. (First: Episode 1357)
- Don Music once "wrote" this song in a Sesame Street News Flash sketch, with help from several Anything Muppets. (First: Episode 1227)
- Billy Joel and the Anything Muppets.
- Samuel Ramey appeared and sang an operatic version of the song. (First: Episode 3369)
- Officers Grover and Herry perform the song in the Monsterpiece Theater segment ABCD Blue to remind some forgetful citizens how it goes. (First: Episode 3516)
- A classical arrangement was sung by an operatic group of AM Monsters, conducted by Herry Monster. (First: Episode 3525)
- A number of celebrities, including Ray Charles, Michael Jeter, Tony Bennett, Shari Lewis, and Lamb Chop. (First: Episode 3526)
- In Episode 3981, the monsters of Monster Clubhouse sing the song in both Monster and English.
- Miss Walsh leads Miles and Gabi's kindergarten class in the songs during a flashback on Episode 4112
- Ruben Studdard and Elmo sang a soul version of the song. (First: Episode 4066)
- Grover teaches a superhero class on Episode 4071, in which he makes his way through the basics of being a superhero, including a recitation of the alphabet set to a modified version of "The Alphabet Song."
- Baby Bear and Telly try to sing the song on Episode 3816, but Baby Bear's cousin Oliver keeps distracting him.
- India.Arie sang the song with Elmo on Episode 4100.
- Abby Cadabby and Kayla (First: Episode 4146)
- The Two-Headed Monster and Jane Curtin once sang the song together.
- Leela sang the song while juggling an apple and an orange on Big Bird and Snuffy's Talent Show in episode 4171
- Tilly and the Wall sang the song on Sesame Street. (First: Episode 4181)
- Big Bird Leads the Band (1977)
- Hickory Dickory Dock/Alphabet Song/Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (single, 1977)
- Sesame Street Sing-Along! (1982)
- The Best of Ernie (1983)
- Sing-Along Travel Songs (medley)
- Kids' Favorite Songs ("ABC Medley")
- Learning About Letters (Lena Horne version)
- Do the Alphabet (Billy Joel version)
- Kids' Favorite Songs
- The Best of Elmo 2 (Indie.Arie version)
- ABCs with Elmo (Indie.Arie version)
- Alphabet Songs (Celebrity version, Ray Charles part only; Jamie Fox version)