Juhl, the Muppets' head writer from the late 1970s through the 1990s, discussed the film's concept in a 1998 interview with Muppet Central:
Additional plot details were recounted in Jim Henson: The Biography: Gonzo's film, titled Into the Jaws of the Demons of Death, would eventually get cheaper and cheaper in looks, turning into "black-and-white Super 8 film," then to a slideshow and storyboards. Eventually, Gonzo would gain some corporate sponsorship, ending the movie in hi-def widescreen.
Frank Oz responded to a question about the project on a Reddit AMA in January 2018:
In a live stream for the Museum of the Moving Image in 2020, Jim Lewis revealed one scene in the rewritten script took place during The Muppet Movie, showing the action behind the curtains of the Miss Bogen County Beauty Pageant moments before Miss Piggy's entrance.
- McKim, D.W. "Written in Foam: An Interview with Muppet Writer Jerry Juhl", Muppet Central. July 24, 1998.
- Jim Henson: The Biography, page 408.
- Plume, Ken. "Interview with Frank Oz", IGN.com. February 10, 2000.
- Rosenberg, Adam."The Muppets Are Coming! 'American Woman' Goes Viral On Memorial Day, 'Lost' This Wednesday!" MTV. May 3, 2010
- Frank Oz, Reddit AMA, January 4, 2018
- Museum of the Moving Image live event: Jim Henson's World: Q&A with Craig Shemin and Friends, June 13, 2020.