|This article is about an upcoming project, product, or production.|
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is an upcoming prequel series to The Dark Crystal. The ten-episode series is set to debut on Netflix on August 30, 2019, using all puppet creatures and no human characters. The series follows twelve years of development on a sequel that failed to result in a film, Power of the Dark Crystal (which ultimately became a comic book series).
“When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.”
The Netflix title page for the series adds the additional detail of the inclusion of a "cruel emperor" as part of the cast of characters:
“In this prequel to the fantasy classic, three young Gelflings inspire a rebellion against the cruel emperor when they discover a horrifying secret.”
Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk, Now You See Me) will serve as director and executive producer for the series. Lisa Henson is also slated to executive produce. The writing team consists of Jeffrey Addiss, Will Matthews, and Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100), who all also serve as co-executive producers.
Filming on the project started in November 2017 under the supervision of Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford. Principal photography wrapped in London during the last week of September 2018, which will be followed by a long period of post-production.
In November of 2018, Film Music Reporter revealed that Daniel Pemberton (Black Mirror, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse) and Samuel Sim (Diana: Her Story, PBS' Frontline) had been tapped to score the series.
Four books written by J.M. Lee serve as tie-ins to the story told in Age of Resistance. Additionally, The Art and Making of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance chronicles a behind-the-scenes look into the making of the series.
A 12-issue comic book miniseries of the same name will be released on September 25, 2019. It will take place before the Netflix series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Variety "Dark Crystal Prequel Series in the Works at Netflix" by Joe Otterson, May 18, 2017
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Netflix Title Page
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 New York Comic Con panel, October 5, 2018
- ↑ Bleeding Cool "Brian Henson Talks ... at Dragon Con" by Mary Anne Butler, September 5, 2018
- ↑ Film Music Reporter "Daniel Pemberton & Samuel Sim to Score Netflix's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" November 16, 2018
- ↑ http://www.toughpigs.com/age-of-resistance-comic/
- ↑ @TheDarkCrystal on Twitter
- ↑ "Netflix announces voice cast & debuts first look at The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance." Netflix Media Center. December 17, 2018