The Hunger Games is the first in a series of young adult novels written by Suzanne Collins between 2008 and 2010. It tells the story of a futuristic society in which adolescents are drafted by the government to compete in a fight to the death as reality entertainment.
- In an online video for Entertainment Weekly, Cookie Monster plays Katniss in a musical abbreviation of the story.
- "Oh, me the tribute from Sesame Street,
- hunting cookies 'cuz they good to eat.
- In this terrible distopia,
- making me way to cookie-copia."
- A teaser for the home video release of The Muppets capitalized on the March 2012 release of a theatrical adaptation of the first book.
- An edition of "Cookie's Crumby Pictures" parodies the film series with "The Hungry Games: Catching Fur." Cookie Monster portrays "Cookie-ness Evereat," who complains about the never-ending franchise. Other featured characters include Finicky (Finnick in the movie), Pita (Peeta spoofed as talking bread), and "Tick Tock Lady" (Wiress, performed by Leslie Carrara-Rudolph). The sketch was written months before the film version of Catching Fire debuted, airing one day in advance in the US.
- When Kermit books Elizabeth Banks on Up Late with Miss Piggy in The Muppets episode "Pig Girls Don't Cry", he's quickly told that Piggy doesn't want her as a guest because her audition for The Hunger Games opposite Banks went viral on the internet, but it's later revealed that that wasn't the real reason.
- Elizabeth Banks played Effie Trinket
- Liam Hemsworth played Gale Hawthorne
- Toby Jones played Claudius Templesmith
- Julianne Moore played President Alma Coin in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay parts 1 and 2
- Misty Rosas performed stunt work for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Amandla Stenberg played Rue
- Taylor Swift wrote two songs for The Hunger Games soundtrack
- Stanley Tucci played Caesar Flickerman
- Jeffrey Wright played Beetee Latier in Catching Fire and Mockingjay parts 1 and 2