The Metropolitan Opera of New York City was founded in April 1880, and is a major presenter of all types of opera. The Met is America's largest classical music organization, and annually presents some 220 opera performances.
- Mildred Huxtetter once aspired to join the group as a soprano.
- Mr. Snuffleupagus is a big fan of opera music, and at one point attended daily rehearsals at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- Zubin Beckmesser was the leader of the Met in a Muppet News Flash segment in The Muppet Show episode 513.
- Grover is assigned to play the cannon in the Monsterpolitan Opera performance of the "1812 Overture".
- Phil Harmonic is the host of the Nestropolitan Opera's "Live from the Nest" opera series. Among the operas performed there, many of them starring Placido Flamingo, are "Peligro" and "The Telephone Opera" (the latter credited to "The Monsterpolitan Opera Chorus" on Cheep Thrills).
- Aage Haugland performed at the Met
- Beverly Sills was a board member from 1991-2002 and chairwoman from 2002-2005
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.