In 1986, writer Douglas Adams was involved as a consultant on a proposed one-hour Muppet TV special about computer literacy, The Muppet Institute of Technology. Adams flew out to New York City to meet for discussions with Jim Henson and twenty other consultants, including Jon Stone, Joseph Bailey, Mark Saltzman, and Adams' friend Christopher Cerf. The special would have aired on CBS as part of a distribution deal that included The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years, but the project was never completed.
According to the Jim Henson Company archivist:
The Muppet Institute of Technology would also have included a computer generated Kermit the Frog head, created by Digital Productions. The Kermit head would appear briefly during a montage in the Jim Henson Hour episode "Secrets of the Muppets."
- Gaiman, Neil. Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion, Titan Books. 2003. p. 133.
- Simpson, M.J. Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams, Justin, Charles & Co. 2005. p. 210.
- Labyrinth: The Ultimate Visual History, page 23 (insert)
- Jim Henson's Red Book - 9/13/1983 - Dinner with Douglas Adams
- Michael Frith, quoted in personal communication between G. Harding and Karen Falk. March 9, 2017.