The Muppets Valentine Show aired on ABC on January 30, 1974. It was one of two pilots produced during the planning stages for The Muppet Show. The other pilot was The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence, which aired in 1975.
In this half-hour Valentine's Day special featuring the Muppets and special guest star Mia Farrow, host Wally has writer's block -- he can't think of material for the show that represents the true meaning of love. He asks the other Muppets and Mia for assistance, with mixed results.
- The Muppets perform the opening number, "Love Is a Simple Thing."
- Wally, George the Janitor, Mildred and Brewster discuss love.
- Kermit the Frog tells the story of his doomed love affair with Miss Mousey, singing "Froggy Went A Courtin'."
- Mia Farrow enters, and meets the Muppets.
- Mia and Thog perform a duet, "Real Live Girl."
- Mia sings "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms" to Rufus.
- Kermit reports live from the planet Koozebane, where aliens are about to perform the Galley-o-hoop-hoop.
- Mia discovers that George loves his mop.
- Mia and the Muppets sing "We Got Love."
- The cast of Muppeteers closely matches the lineup of The Muppet Show’s first season, with the exception of Eren Ozker, who joined the Muppets in 1976.
- Jim Henson as Wally, Kermit, Rowlf and Ernie
- Frank Oz as George the Janitor, Rufus, Male Koozebanian Creature, Frogs and Bert
- Jerry Nelson as Droop, Thog, Miss Mousey, Frogs and Female Koozebanian Creature
- Richard Hunt as Mildred and Big Mouse
- John Lovelady as Crazy Donald and Frogs
- Dave Goelz as Brewster and Crumpet
- Jane Henson
- Nancy McGeorge
- Produced by Diana Birkenfield
- Written by Jerry Juhl and Jerry Ross
- Directed by Jim Henson
- Music Arranged and Conducted by Keith Textor
- The Muppet Puppeteers Featuring Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, John Lovelady, Dave Goelz, Nancy McGeorge, Jane Henson
- Puppets by Bonnie Lewis, Don Sahlin, Caroly Wilcox, Franz Fazakas, John Lovelady, Dave Goelz, Kermit Love
- "Real Live Girl" Choreography by Christopher Lyall
- Production Assistants: Eric Jenkins, Rollie Krewson, Cindy Chock
- Videotaped at ABC Television Center in New York
- Executive Producer: Jim Henson
- Wally, George the Janitor, Mildred Huxtetter, Rufus the Dog, Crazy Donald, Brewster, Droop, Thog, Miss Mousey, Kermit the Frog, Big Mouse, Frogs, Crumpet, Male Koozebanian Creature, Female Koozebanian Creature, Baby Koozebanian Creatures, Rowlf, Ernie, Bert
- When this special aired on Nickelodeon and the Odyssey Network, "Those Endearing Young Charms" was cut.
- Also cut from the Nickelodeon broadcast was the scene in which Wally and Mia Farrow comment on the Koozebane sketch.
- The DVD release replaces part of the end credits, where Rufus is seen running after Mia, with the Jim Henson Productions logo.