|Premiere||May 27, 2020|
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo is a spin-off of Sesame Street developed exclusively for the HBO Max streaming service. The first season, consisting of 13 episodes, debuted on the platform on May 27, 2020. The first three episodes were available at launch, with new episodes premiering weekly afterwards. Each episode runs 15 minutes long.
The series stars Elmo as the host of his own late-night talk show, with Cookie Monster as his sidekick, the rest of the Sesame Street gang as the crew, and celebrity guests. The first season's main curricular goals were centered on bedtime routines, with each episode demonstrating a different aspect of Elmo's own routine.
The pilot, directed by Benjamin Lehmann, was produced in January 2019. Full production of the series took place in November and December 2019. An EP with select songs from the show was released in September 2020. In December 2020, the first season was made available for purchase on Amazon.com, the iTunes Store, and other sites.
On March 29, 2021, it was announced that the series was renewed for a second season of sixteen episodes to premiere on September 30. The new season, along with the other Sesame programming, is housed on HBO Max's "Cartoonito" section for pre-school content. For season two, the show was rebranded as The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo: Game Edition, and reformatted as a game show with real kids and their parents as contestants. Production for the season took place between March 22 and April 23.
Not-Too-Late Show cast and crew
While not working for the show, Big Bird and Zoe also appear in this series as show performers alongside guest artists. Alan and Mr. Johnson have also appeared playing non-staff miscellaneous roles in the show.
In the second season, a rotating set of characters (including Abby, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Rosita, and Oscar) appear to provide the child contestant's parents with a silly item on their way offstage. Big Bird also appeared as the guest for the celebrity challenge in episode 215.
- Season One
- Kwame Alexander, Sara Bareilles, Batman (played by Victor Joel Ortiz), Miles Brown, Sofia Carson, Ciara, Andy Cohen, Dan + Shay, Jimmy Fallon, Josh Groban, Mykal-Michelle Harris, H.E.R., Nick Jacinto, Jonas Brothers, The Joyous String Ensemble, Hoda Kotb, Lil Nas X, Blake Lively, John Mulaney, Kacey Musgraves, Jonathan Van Ness, John Oliver, Pentatonix, Ben Platt, Choska Potter, Jordin Sparks, Jason Sudeikis, Mona Tavakoli, Olivia Wilde
- Season Two
- AJR, Drew Barrymore, Sway Bhatia, Kane Brown, Aidy Bryant, Keedron Bryant, Rohan Chand, Kelvin Dukes, Sophie Fatu, Jenna Bush Hager, Tamron Hall, Mackenzie Hancsicsak, Hello Sunday, James Monroe Iglehart, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Juanes, Tori Kelly, Dani Lane, Dannah Lane, Ames McNamara, Seth Meyers, Brady Noon, Leslie Odom Jr., Busy Philipps, Bebe Rexha, Madison Reyes, Kelly Rowland, Amber Ruffin, Isaiah Russell-Bailey, TAZ, WanMor
- The Not-Too-Late Show audience shots feature many obscure and retired characters, including Humphrey, Don Music, Lefty the Salesman, Sherlock Hemlock, Roosevelt Franklin, Harvey Kneeslapper, Forgetful Jones (season one only), the Amazing Mumford, Captain Vegetable, Chipowski, Little Murray Sparkles, Horatio the Elephant, Leo Birdelli, Madame Chairbird, Bug, and Buster the Horse (season two). Also present are Muppet Performers Ryan Dillon and Martin P. Robinson, writer Andrew Moriarty, sound editor Chris Sassano, and human cast member Charlie (though only Moriarty and Charlie remain in the season two crowd shots).
- Executive Producer: Benjamin Lehmann, Ken Scarborough, Kay Wilson Stallings (season two)
- Senior Producers: Karyn Leibovich, Stephanie Longardo
- Coordinating Producer: Mindy Fila
- Content Producer: Autumn Zitani Stefano, M.A.
- Producers: Michael J. Gargill, Andrew Moriarty (season two)
- Directed by Ken Diego, Shannon Flynn, Jack Jameson (season one), Todd E. James (season two), Benjamin Lehmann, Liliana Olszewski (season two), Matt Vogel (season one)
- Head Writer: Ken Scarborough
- Writers: Geri Cole (season one), Laura Canty-Samuel (season two), Jennifer Capra (season two), Jessica Carleton (season two), Scott Gray, Benjamin Lehmann, Wendy Marston (season one), Andrew Moriarty, Adam Peltzman, Ken Scarborough, Moujan Zolfaghari
- Muppet Performers: Pam Arciero, Jennifer Barnhart, Tyler Bunch, Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, Frankie Cordero (season one), Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Ryan Dillon, Eric Jacobson, John Kennedy, Peter Linz, Carmen Osbahr, Martin P. Robinson, David Rudman, Matt Vogel
- Muppet Captain: Matt Vogel
- Digital Producer: Andrew Moriarty
- Executive Vice President and Creative Director: Brown Johnson
- Script Supervisor: Jennifer Capra
- Senior Vice President of Curriculum and Content: Rosemarie T. Truglio, Ph.D.
- Sesame Street Curriculum and Content Team: Jessica Disavlo, Susan Scheiner, M.A., Autumn Zitani Stefano, M.A.
- Puppets, Costumes, and Props - The Jim Henson Company NY Workshop
- Creative Supervisor: Jason Weber
- Rollie Krewson, Connie Peterson, Zea Barker, David Bizzaro, Ben Duroucher, Victoria Ellis, Joel Gennari, Tyler Hall, Liz Hara, Michelle Hickey, Ariella Knight, Sarah Lafferty, Lara MacLean, Laura Manns, Tom Newby, Kate Rusek, Sierra Schoening, Polly Smith, Keely Snook, David Valentine, Stacey Weingarten, James Wojtal, Kate Brehm, Joshua Holden, Ann Marie Holdgruen, Cedwan Hooks, Tim Lagasse
- Production Manager: Melissa Creighton
- Production Supervisor: Joseph Roddy
- Assistant to Creative Supervisor: Carolyn Fanelli
- Music Director: Bill Sherman
- Music Director - (Arrangements and Orchestrations): Joe Fiedler
- Music Director - (Vocals): Paul Rudolph
- Music Coordinator: Tyler Hartman
- Music by Bill Sherman, Joe Fiedler, JP Rende, Kathryn Raio, Tallulah Ruff, Christopher Jackson
- Score by Ryan Shore
- Music Copyist: Joe Fiedler
- Associate Directors: Frank Campagna, Emily Cohen, Ken Diego, Julie Lorusso
- Sound Effects Editor/Re-Recording Mixer: Dick Maitland, C.A.S.
- Music Editor/ADR Mixer: Paul Rudolph
- Supervising Music Editor: Michael Croiter
- Sound Editor/ADR Mixer: Chris Sassano
- Technical Directors: Tom Guadarrama, Richard Drummond
- Cameras: Frank Biondo, Mark Britt, Jerry Cancel, Shaun Harkins
- Special Thanks To: Magnetic Dreams, Studio G Brooklyn
- Taped at Kaufman Astoria Studios
A Spanish dub of the series, titled Buenas Noches con Elmo, premeired on Azteca 7 on September 12, 2021.
- Sesame Workshop press release
- Associated Press: Muppet Elmo readies for his own starry HBO Max talk show
- Sesame Street Art Department on Instagram (January 14, 2019)
- Kacey Musgraves on Instagram (January 15, 2019)
- Stephane D'Abruzzo official site: November 18-December 13: Worked on a new Sesame project for HBO Max
- ‘The Not-Too-Late Show With Elmo’ Renewed For Season 2 By HBO Max
- WarnerMedia Kids & Family Sets Sept. 13 for Cartoonito Preschool Block on HBO Max and Cartoon Network
- Mercedes Milligan, "Corus Ent. Bolsters Specialty Portfolios, Including Toons for All Ages", Animation Magazine, June 23, 2020.
- Sésamo Facebook post