This Is Spinal Tap is a 1984 film comedy, using the mockumentary format as cameras follow the exploits of rock band Spinal Tap on an ill-fated tour. Rob Reiner directed and played documentarian Mart DiBergi. The band Spinal Tap would go on to appearances in such venues as Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons as well as actual live concerts.
- In Episode 4234 of Sesame Street (2010), Michael McKean plays rock star Virgil von Vivaldi, whose long hair and occupation reference McKean's Spinal Tap character David St. Hubbins (minus the British accent). His entourage includes an Anything Muppet rocker who is a caricature of fellow Spinal Tap member Derek Smalls.
- In the long music video for "She Drives Me Crazy," Fran Drescher plays an acerbic record executive, referencing her role in This Is Spinal Tap.
- For the "Sesame Street Puppets Live!" show at the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con, the Sesame Muppets played a movie quote game with the audience. Count von Count quotes "This one goes to eleven."
- Paul Benedict played Tucker "Smitty" Brown
- Billy Crystal played Morty the Mime
- Fran Drescher played Bobbi Flekman
- Anjelica Huston played Polly Deutsch
- Michael McKean played David St. Hubbins and co-wrote
- Julie Payne played a mime waitress
- Paul Shaffer played Artie Fufkin
- Harry Shearer played Derek Smalls and co-wrote
- Fred Willard played Lt. Bob Hookstratten