|Written by||Joe Raposo|
|Publisher||Jonico Music, Inc.|
"What Makes Music?" is a Sesame Street song about the many things which are musical and how "When you're happy on the inside, ev'rything you hear is music."
The song was first performed on the show in Episode 0220 by Bob, Gordon, Susan, Mr. Hooper, and Oscar the Grouch. This performance was released on the compilation album 60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street.
- A disco cover appeared on the 1979 album Sesame Disco!.
- An instrumental of the disco version plays over a segment where David, struggling with his roller-skates, imagines himself roller-skating with ease through Central Park. (First: Episode 1559)
- The 2000 home video Let's Make Music features a new performance by Elmo, Alan, the Kids, a Honker, a Dinger, Oscar and Telly Monster.
- During a 2001 edition of Evening at Pops, the song was performed (with new lyrics by Christine Ferraro) by Elmo, Rosita, Bob, Gordon, Maria, and Alan.
- The cast performed the song in the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a part of a medley with "Sing."
- 60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street (1975)
- Sesame Disco! (1979) (disco version)
- What Makes Music? (disco version)/Doin' the Trash (single, 1979)
- Sesame Street Treasury (1980) (disco version)
- Let's Make Music (2000)
- The Sesame Street Songbook (1971 edition only)