|Written by||Joe Raposo|
|Publisher||Jonico Music, Inc.|
"What Makes Music?" is a Sesame Street song about the many things which are musical and how "When you're happy on the inside, ev'rything you hear is music." The song was performed on the show as early as Episode 0220, and was also released on Sesame Disco! in a new disco arrangement.
An instrumental of the disco version of the tune plays over a segment where David, struggling with his roller-skates, imagines himself roller-skating with ease through Central Park. (First: Episode 1559)
The song was sung by Elmo, Rosita, Bob, Gordon, Maria, and Alan in the Evening at Pops program in 2001. The cast also performed the song in the 2009 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a part of a medley with "Sing."
- 60 Favorite Songs from Sesame Street (1975)
- Sesame Disco! (1979) (disco version)
- What Makes Music? (disco version)/Doin' the Trash (single, 1979)
- Sesame Street Treasury (1980) (disco version)
- Let's Make Music (2000)
- The Sesame Street Songbook (1971 edition only)