When Families Grieve is a continuation of Sesame Workshop's Talk, Listen, Connect initiative that provides resources and emotional support to military families. The hour-long primetime television special features Katie Couric and the Sesame Street Muppets. The special presents personal stories about families coping with the death of a parent, as well as strategies that have helped these families move forward. The special features newly recorded interview segments with the Muppet characters, as well as uses clips from the similarly named outreach video.
The special aired on PBS on April 14, 2010 in conjunction with the Month of the Military Child, and it's part of a multimedia, bi-lingual (English and Spanish) outreach kit for national distribution immediately following the airing.
All materials became available at Sesameworkshop.org on April 15th.
It was nominated for "Outstanding Children's Nonfiction Program" at the 2010 Primetime Emmy Awards, losing to its only competitor, Nick News With Linda Ellerbee - The Face Of Courage: Kids Living With Cancer.
- Directed by Nancy Stern
- Written by Christine Ferraro
- Producer/Senior Creative Consultant/Sesame Street story directed by: Kevin Clash
- Jim Henson's Creature Shop Workshop Crew: Jason Weber, Connie Peterson, Rollie Krewson, Polly Smith, Michelle Hickey, Heather Asch, Lara MacLean, Marc Borders, Molly Light, Colette Nickola, Loryn Brantz
- "Give Your Heart a Little Time" music and lyrics by Mark Radice (sung by Radice, Kathryn Rao)
- Music by Peter Calandra
- Associate director: Ken Diego
- Production designer: Cassandra Boyd
- Production Designer (Sesame Street story): Victor DiNapoli